S4 not always sending text messages
justsendthetext
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just upgraded from a Samsung Intensity II to a Galaxy S4 around New Years. It was working fine and then I started getting "message failed" errors on some of the text messages that I tried to send.

From scanning the discussion boards there seem to be others with a similar issue with no good answers. So obviously, I'm pretty ticked that my new "smart" phone can't send simple texts consistently.

Details

Sometimes when I go to send a text message the message will hang/spin for a while. After a few seconds, the phone goes to sleep and I assume that the message got sent because I was not told otherwise. Then it could be hours later or whenever the next time I unlock the phone I get a message that says that the text failed.

These failures don't seem to be tied to anything specific. They happen both when I am connected to Wifi and when using data. It happens in my apt, where I have decent service and a good wifi connection. Recently, I started restarting the phone after the message failed a few times and sending the message (as a fresh text) again after the reboot. Every time I've done that (including twice today) the message has sent without delay.

The intervals between failed messages seems to be getting shorter which doesn't bode well for my phone actually being able to reliable send texts after another few month or so which is unacceptable for a phone released 5 years ago let alone a phone that way considered the cutting edge last year.

So what? when the phone is on too long it just decided to stop sending texts? I would love a concrete answer on this. Or a new phone that works.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: S4 not always sending text messages
jtu94
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I went to the Verizon store they told me I must have the mobile data turned on. I was turning it off when I was using wifi thats when I couldnt send texts. Check your data settings and make sure you have 4G.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's ensure you're able to send out all text messages. Are you familar with what type phones other users have that the text messages fails to? I would suggest heading into Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > All > Message app > Force Stop and Clear data. After completing please retest.

YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
justsendthetext
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have done as you requested. The problem is that the failures are

inconsistent.

As I said in the original post. If the text doesn't send, I restart the

phone and texts will send again.

As for the type of phones I'm sending to, one in a Galaxy Note II, and the

other is Android phone of some kind.

On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 9:05 AM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for trying the suggested troubleshooting steps justsendthetext. Are you experiencing difficulites with sending text anywhere you go or only in a certain area? Can you try http://vz.to/1gawS2X then test the messages on your device.

Thank You,
MichelleL_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
miked55
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the exact same problem that this person is reporting.  I am so sick of it.  I am about ready to throw my phone through a window.  It was happening with my other s4 as well and I even went as far as to bring it back to costco, and exchange it for a brand new phone.  Now I feel bad about that because I know it wasn't the phone - it was happening with the old one and is also happening with this one.  I am so damn sick of it.  screw you verizon.  This happens to me like 5 times a day.  I should not have to deal with this BS on a brand new phone - FIX IT!!!!!

miked55
Enthusiast - Level 1

And to add:  I've already done a hard reset on the phone, taken out the battery, switched the network to global, spent like 4 hours on the phone with verizon customer service.  It still is not fixed.  I am so pissed about all of this.  Seriously - fix it.  Whether you need to release a service pack or whatever fix this damn problem.  It is absolutely ridiculous.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

Have you tried a new Sim card? Just a thought.

Doc

0 Likes
tinkeringtj

I'm having the same issues but it only started happening after I upgraded to 4.4.2. Now it is randomly not sending text messages and is really starting to piss me off. I have restarted the phone by software restart which will help the problem for a day or so. I have deleted old text messages, which helped only one time. And I've done a hard reboot by taking out the battery, which for 2 or 3 days seemed to work. But I'm not going to hard reboot every time I want to send a message. My last option that I know of is a phone reset, which I'd rather not do. Please help me fix this issue.

0 Likes
gssieg

I too am having the same issue ever since the upgrade to NC5 this started.  I keep having to reboot the phone so I can send messages.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

tinkerringtj,

I am so sorry about the issues you are having with sending text messages. Are you having issues sending message to all numbers or just a few? Have you tried to force close and clear data/cache on the text application? http://vz.to/1pSqova

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes