S4 charges via wall plug, but not USB. Started recently.
colonel_locke
Enthusiast - Level 3

Howdy.  Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've been seeing a lot of issues concerning charging after the 4.3 update, however I don't believe that is my problem since I've only noticed a charging problem in the last couple of days, a week at the outside.

My S4 will charger using a wall outlet or via a "charging dedicated" outlet on my USB hub (only provides juice, no data connection.)

My S4 will *not* charge using a regular USB port.

This started, roughly, within the last week or so.

I've tried:

- different USB ports

- different USB cables

I've also noticed the phone, randomly, will not show up as a device on the list of drives attached to the computer, where it used to show up as soon as I plugged the phone in.

Thoughts?

Regards.

0 Likes
Re: S4 charges via wall plug, but not USB. Started recently.
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have the latest OS update on your phone? The most recent update for the Galaxy S4 was supposed to fix the charging cable issues.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
colonel_locke
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes.  Running 4.3 at this time.

0 Likes
colonel_locke
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ordered a new battery off of Amazon.  Hoping that solves the issue.

Does the phone get power from different pins on the USB chord based on whether it's plugged into a USB chord or the wall?

It seems to me that if it gets the power from the same pins, regardless of the power source, then the problem has to be with the phone itself, not the chords or supply.  But if it gets power from different pins, then maybe it's the USB plug on the phone.

May stop by the Verizon store tomorrow, but not looking forward to it.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

colonel.locke wrote:

Yes.  Running 4.3 at this time.

There were TWO updates that were Android 4.3 OS version for the Samsung Galaxy S4. The second one was the charger fix. What is your build number? It should be JSS15J.I545VRUEMK2 if you have the current version.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
colonel_locke
Enthusiast - Level 3

That is my build number. 

Sounds like the charging problem is *not* related to the software then. 

I sure hope the battery fixes the problem.         

0 Likes
ajcole002

I bought my S4 new on October 28, 2013 at the local Verizon store. For a few weeks now I have been having issues with charging it. I keep getting a message to use the original charger and cable for faster charging, even though I am using them. I have noticed that it has actually had battery drain while plugged in to charge overnight. I also lose my wi-fi (it displays "unstable connection" and I can only use my wireless data for internet) while plugged into the Samsung 2 amp charger that came with the phone.

I have used 0.5 & 1.0 amp chargers as well as a 1 1/2 year old Verizon car charger and and a Verizon car charger I bought brand new with the S4 in October and these all charge fine with no wi-fi connectivity issues. Though they do take longer to charge the phone compared to when the 2 amp Samsung charger worked.

I have also had issues with trying to sync music and photos with my computer that started about the same time as the charging issues. The software for the phone is up to date on my laptop, but there are times that it does not register as a connected device. It is not an every time issue, but has happened more than half of the times I have tried a USB link. I have taken to using a card adapter and removing my sd card from the phone to transfer photos and music now.

I was originally thinking that it was an issue with my Otterbox Defender case pushing on the cord just enough to interfere with the connection, but this problem occurs with and without the case.

Any help, especially if it avoids a factory/hard reset, would be appreciated. I have had issues with previous phones (a Motorola Droid X2 and a HTC Thunderbolt) where resets were recommended and were not effective, or actually resulted in the phone no longer functioning at all. Not to mention the hassle of restoring contacts, music, photos, games, etc.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for visiting our device forums today ajcole002! I definitely understand how important it is to have a properly functioning device. Based upon the issues listed is does seem that you may have interference with the device software or third party applications. The best recommendation would be to complete a full restore/reset on the device. Once this is completed please keep us posted if issues remain, thanks!

MatthewS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes