Re: S4 Not Charging After 4.3 Update - Charger works on other phones
Roesteve80

I have the same issue. Have been troubleshooting with Verizon and Samsung for over a week. I do not want to switch out the phone yet, in hopes I can retrieve irreplaceable pics on device.

I purchased the S4 at Verizon Kiosk in November at a Costco Store in Brooklyn. The car charger they provided with the accessory kit would not charge the brand new S4. It worked on my husbands old Samsung Flip. The S4 DIED while attempting to charge it with that car charger. Have tried 3 other chargers, including the white charger that came with it, also tried through USB on PC.

The phone is DEAD. Will not charge, will not turn on, only gray empty battery image. Will not reboot from recovery page. Get splash screen, periodically get recovery screen, but will not reboot. Samsung and Verizon deny any knowledge of a known issue, however it's all over the internet.

My kid was promoted in the Army, I drove 650 miles to see it, only pics are in this phone. I am cancer patient, and prayed that I would be well enough to make the trip. I guess I should just be grateful I made it there...but the loss of these pics in a brand new phone is very upsetting. Still praying I can get it to work!

0 Likes
Roesteve80

Hi, do you have any suggestions for me? Please read my post from yesterday. I am holding on to the non working S4 for now., praying for a miracle! Hoping to retrieve photos form my son's promotion in rank in US ARMY. I did not have backup functioning properly, didn't realize it. I have called Verizon many times, visited store, spoken to Samsung.

Phone is dead, but I can on occasion get to reboot screen, but won't reboot. Got so far as safe mode, pin input and actually saw my home screen (nearly fainted) then went blank again. Rep in store couldn't even get that far!

I am desperate.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Roesteve80,

I'm sorry for the issues that you are having with your S4 as well. It sounds like it took a lot for you to make it to your sons promotion ceremony and I'm sure he was ecstatic to see you. I appreciate his continued support to our country. I understand that those pictures are irreplacable so I absolutely want to take a closer look to see what we can do.

When taking pictures on the S4 the pictures should automatically save to the SD card so you won't lose any pictures. Do you have a memory card reader for your computer? You would want to insert the SD card into the memory card reader to confirm that the pictures are there.

Does the phone stay on long enough to do a hard reset,http://vz.to/19jJtZW? If so this would be the most effective troubleshooting step to resolve your current issue. If this doesn't work we would have to go through the replacement process.

NicholasB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The S4 defaults to saving to the internal memory not the SD card. The user has to manually change it in the camera settings.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
mishael53
Enthusiast - Level 2

You are seriously my hero in this entire 4.3 update fiasco.

0 Likes
saabdued

I purchased the Samsung Galaxy S4 a couple of months ago. I am still very much learning my way around as it is my first smart phone. It worked fine up until about a couple of weeks ago. Since then it has not recharged by just plugging the charger into an outlet.

However, if I shut the phone off and plug it in to an outlet it will recharge. If I reboot it the phone can then be plugged into an outlet and recharged. I do recall a recent upgrade, don't recall exactly when it was, but up until a couple of weeks ago I never had a problem charging the phone.

Any thoughts or corrections? Thanks very much for your time and assistance.

0 Likes
Roesteve80

That is exactly what I was going to tell the VZ rep, thanks, Unfortunately, I did not have an SD card in the phone in any event

0 Likes
Roesteve80

Unfortunately, I did not have the SD card in the new S4. The pics are in the device memory. 2 days ago, I got it to go into safe mode, but it shuts down again.I used to get to reboot screen with little green Android robot, but it never worked....now can't get there either. I try everyday, like a ritual now. I hesitate to switch out now, for 2 reasons. Still waiting for a miracle. Also, if a new S4 gets the 4.3 update, and uses a Verizon car charger, I will end up with the same problem. I am very upset, and I am re-thinking staying with Verizon, as well as Samsung. It could not have happened at a worse time for me. To add insult to injury, I just got my bill, and see the $30.00 Upgrade fee. I have to pay for this inconvenience and the loss of irreplaceable pictures. Should have just held on to my S3. I am beginning to be cynical and think that Costco offered discount because the S4 had known issues and Verizon wanted to unload them.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good Morning saabdued,

We would love to assist with your device. I'm sorry to learn that you're having issues with charging your device. Do you recall if the charger you're using is the one that was supplied with the phone? Also, it could seem that your software was not installed properly. Do you have any task killers running on your device? Have you attempted another charger while the device is on? Please keep us posted, thanks!

MatthewS_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
saabdued

Hi Mathew. Thanks for your timely reply. To be honest, maybe I have not been following the re-charging process 100% accurately. Since I have had the phone, for several months now, I have only been charging it with the black cord that came with the kit, with the white plug that also came with the kit, in my home. I have a black plug that is to be used in my car (I have not tried to charge the phone in the car yet) that I attached the white wire to. Perhaps white should be all white (to be used in the home) and black should all be black (to be used in the car). Although for several months the phone charged perfectly in my home using the white plug and the black wire. It all charged fine until recently.

I have just switched them,and the next time I try to charge my phone in my home (within a day or two) I will use the white plug with the white wire. The only wires and plugs I have used came with the Samsung kit.

I am not too tech swift, so if the software was not installed properly I will need instructions on how it should be installed. And also, I have no idea what a task killer is, and I can be pretty sure in confirming that I never installed or tried to run such an app or program. Anyway, I just tried to charge my phone again before I saw your message, with the Samsung white plug and Samsung black wire. It did not work. However, as mentioned earlier, I re-started up the phone, and it charged fine using the white plug and black wire. I will let you know how it works next time.

If there is no problem with the next charge I will let you know (using Samsung white plug and Samsung white wire). And if there is a problem, we can explore re-installing software or a task killer. Thanks again for your time.

0 Likes