S4 - List of problems started this week
HelpMyS4

I know nothing about troubleshooting phones. So please don't get upset if I haven't already tried certain settings that I'm unaware of. I've looked at other threads and tried to change settings, but nothing has worked. All of these issues started about a week ago. Here is the list of problems I'm experiencing.

1. Battery draining even when not used. I only get 2-3hrs max and have already turned off most apps and other resources that may be running heavy, but still draining.
  2. Calling other family members on the same plan, connecting and talking for 30+sec and getting a ring tone and a message that says, "Unable to connect your call" eventho I've already been in connection with them. I haven't really called many other people so I'm not sure if it's a problem with other networks or non-shared plans. Also, the same phone can initiate the call to me and it doesn't drop, only when I'm the one initiating the call.
  3. MMS not downloading, specifically when it was a reply-all. I got notification of two different parties trying to send messages but am unable to download. Standard text messages are still getting thru.
  4. Unable to connect to Wi-Fi networks. I'm using other devices on the same networks and they're running fine and fast, so the network itself is not the problem. This is also happening in multiple locations (home/work/friend's houses). I disabled all other devices so my phone is the only one connected and still it won't connect because it says the connection is too slow. I turned off the Auto Network Switch option and am receiving a message that the connection is unsecured, tho I know that to not be the case. This seems to reset itself after a few minutes and I have to disable it again.
  5. Perhaps related to #4, my browsers are unable to connect to sites due to DNS problems. I tried turning off  Wi-Fi altogether, and that did not fix the problem. Since turning off the Auto Network Switch option, I am able to view websites, but still not able to download MMS. And again, disabling the Auto Network Switch option is not permanent, it resets itself after a few minutes.

Does anyone have fix ideas? This is very frustrating to say the least.

0 Likes
S4 - List of problems started this week
HelpMyS4

6. Also, another issue I'm having is when I'm in call the screen goes blank, then I can't get it back up again. The other caller has to hang up first for the screen to reappear. I tried shooting an air can into the ear piece to clear out the proximity sensor as suggested in other forums, as well as other suggestions, but no luck.

In it's current state, I am not able to use most of my phones features. It is also not beyond me that Verizon shipped this phone without the update and the update didn't force until after my return window expired. That can't be coincidence.

0 Likes
Re: S4 - List of problems started this week
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Briefly pressing the power button should wake the screen if the proximity sensor isn't covered. The proximity sensor isn't in the earpiece.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
HelpMyS4

Blowing air into the earpiece has solved this problem for other S4 owners because apparently there is nothing separating the earpiece from the proximity sensor and dust collects under the glass.

Regardless, if it were a dust issue, pressing the power button should wake it up, but it does not. The phone is completely unresponsive until the other caller hangs up.

All of these problems started this week. I haven't installed any new apps, nothing has been updated other than the OS, I'm still experiencing the problems in safe-mode, too.

Any other suggestions? I've done a lot of researching on all of these issues, spent several hours trying to fix these and am posting in desperation that someone will have some out of the box suggestions I haven't yet found.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

HelpmyS4,

With the battery draining so fast it has to be hard to use your phone without always having a charger! Let's get that working for you again. Have you tried the safemode troubleshooting? http://vz.to/1i4Ix1E Does the problem persist in safemode? Please let us know.

BrianP_VZW
Follow Us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes