S4 Internal Screen Cracks?
brdskipper
Enthusiast - Level 2

Like many others apparently, my S4 screen cracked for no apparent reason.  I made a call at about 12:15 this afternoon, sent a text message about 5 minutes, put the phone in my pocket and when I went to make a call 10 minutes later, there was almost no display, save for a small green area at the top of the phone.  I thought it was a software glitch, so I pulled the battery out for a few seconds and tried again.  I notice a couple of very small hairline cracks on the INSIDE of the phone screen, not externally, so I took it to the local store.  The guy there says I have two options:  Send it to Samsung for an "attempt" at a warranty repair, but because it's cracked he says they'll likely charge me full replacement value.  OR, I'd be better off to use the protection package I pay $8 a month for and have Verizon replace it for the $90-$99 "deductible"...  So, I opted to try the warranty replacement route, as it appears to be a fairly common problem and if they say no, I'll have them return the phone and then go the extended coverage route.  Still, for $8/month, every month, nearly $100 "deductible" is absurdly high. Doesn't Verizon understand that if they treated customers with in the first place, they wouldn't have to spend so much money recruiting new ones for the ones that get frustrated and leave?  It's simple folks, do the right thing.  This is widely known problem and you guys should take care of me and others in my situation when I walk through the door.

Re: S4 Internal Screen Cracks?
rcschnoor
Legend

brdskipper wrote:

Still, for $8/month, every month, nearly $100 "deductible" is absurdly high.

Then drop the coverage. I think it is absurdly high, too, which is why I choose to never get the coverage.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Just for the asking was your phone on the warm side when you pulled it out of your pocket?  why I asked it may have been searching for > trying to connect to a tower for something maybe running in the background if the phone got warm enough trying to do this it may have done the Damage to the in LCD.. just a possibility though..

0 Likes
brdskipper
Enthusiast - Level 2

Didn't notice anything unusual. I'm in a great coverage area, with lots of

local towers.

brdskipper
Enthusiast - Level 2

I certainly will after this episode. but only after I determine if Samsung

will do the right thing.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

K and that's goodSmiley Happy we have same in my area good coverage for a medium to large size,  town..

0 Likes
JGwiz
Contributor - Level 1

This does seem to be a fairly common experience, and it happened to me within a month of getting my S4.   My personal opinion is that the phone is a fairly flimsy build.  It has a large screen supported by a plastic frame.  All it takes is a little bit of lateral pressure along the longitudinal axis of the phone and....

As I said, it happened to me and that was six months ago.  I sent the phone back to Samsung and they replaced it, no questions or problems.

Good luck!

0 Likes