S4 Chooses incorrect time zone when set to automatic
JustaGeek
Enthusiast - Level 2

My S4, and my son's, are choosing the incorrect time zone when the phones are set to choose automatically.

The phones were working and my son noticed his was off earlier in the week and mine seems to have developed the same issue sometime last evening.

They are both choosing Central Time and should be choosing Mountain Time.

Location services are enabled on both (GPS & Verizon as well as Google Wi-Fi)

I've launched my phone in Safe Mode and the issue still occurs

On my son's we chose to set time zone manually which works, but it reset itself to automatic later and returned to being incorrect.

Thanks for any help.

Tags (2)
Re: S4 Chooses incorrect time zone when set to automatic
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JustaGeek,

We'll get that time corrected! It could be that the phones are picking up a different (and incorrect) location through your Wi-Fi connection if you are using one. Please turn your Wi-Fi off, power down the phone, remove the SIM card and battery for 30 seconds, then put the phone back together and turn it on (keeping Wi-Fi off). That should connect the phone to the nearest cell phone tower and prompt the correct time to display. Let us know the status of your clocks after trying this out!

SarahO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
JustaGeek
Enthusiast - Level 2

It had 'fixed' itself prior to your reply. However, the issue is back, my son's phone moved ahead an hour again to Central Time Zone and his alarm went off an hour early... so since we're up we tried your suggestion (turn off wi-fi, power off remove battery and sim card wait 30 seconds, put it back together and turn it on...  the time didn't correct itself, it still is an hour ahead)... h e l p !

0 Likes
B33
Legend

My computer was doing the same thing as well,  but try this have your Son call your phone or you call your sons phone see if that corrects the time.. when the call is pushing through it should correct any errors in the time..

0 Likes
JustaGeek
Enthusiast - Level 2

B33,

Thanks for the idea... tried both ways, even tried calling from the old land line (yep, I'm a dinosuar) but no change... it's weird the weather app on the home screen displays the correct time but the actual time (top right corner) is an hour ahead of us (and if you look at time settinsg it's showing we are in central, when we are really in mountain)... guess it's better than being an hour behind and alarms going off late.. but still it's frustrating

B33
Legend

For sure... hmm... I wonder if a clearing of the cache in the were the clock or time is located might help you might try that.. for doing that look in your settings find your apps then look for ALL and then look for Time and Date..

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for trying JustaGeek. When did this begin with your phones? Anything change such as new apps, an update or settings? Please try testing the devices in safe mode for a full day to rule out app conflict. http://vz.to/1m8Mjg4

JonathanK_VZW
VZWSupport
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

JustaGeek
Enthusiast - Level 2

On my phone I believe it was the day I posted here (April 14th) on his a couple days prior to that.

Both had 'fixed' themselves until his changed back a couple days ago

No new apps, latest update applied to both phones (after his was already showing incorrect time).

Also of note, 3 other S4's in the household that do not have the issue(...yet?)

As mine is currently working I don't suppose there's a need for me to run in safe mode, but I will pass the instructions on to him

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the additional info JustaGeek. Each user configures their device with their own unique settings, configurations and apps. This can have a big impact on performance from one device to another, even if it is the same make and model. Please let us know how the device responds to safe mode. Please ensure you allow a full day to test the device in safe mode.

JonathanK_VZW
VZWSupport
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

JustaGeek
Enthusiast - Level 2

No change by running in safe mode for a day, still choose the wrong time if

set to time zone automatic.

Now another phone in the household has switched to Central Time also, as my

daughter's phone is now reporting the wrong time zone also and her alarm

went off an hour early this morning... this is getting frustrating.. h e l

p