S3 won't power up
WILJAC71
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a galaxy S3 that won't power up. The last time it worked, the battery was about 10%, I sent off a text then I plugged the phone into my car charger. After being plugged in for about thirty seconds it shut off,stopped charging, screen went black and got warm. I still can't get it to start up and when I try to charge it while it's off it shows no sign of charging such as the red or blue light or the battery Icon. I have bought a new phone but i would if I could start this phone just long enough to transfer some stuff. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

0 Likes
Re: S3 won't power up
stef7
Master - Level 2

Did you try both charger in car and USB port on a pc.? Sure cable is good?

I would toss $11 on a new battery from Amazon. That might do it.

WILJAC71
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply stef7

I ordered a new battery. I will let you know how it turns out

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

car charger & usb charging are the worst choice, use the wall charger.

stef7
Master - Level 2

I assumed OP would have tried wall charger. In general when a battery doesn't want to charge, you should try slow charging it.

I suspect a bad battery.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know how important it is to get your information off your phone after it has stopped working, WILJAC71. While I’m glad you already bought a new phone, I’d like to make sure we’ve tried everything to get your old phone charged up enough to work for a bit. Trying a different charger and even a different battery is a great idea. As bearone21 mentioned, it’s definitely recommended trying using a wall charger instead of having it connected to a car charger or USB to a computer. Have you tried pressing and holding both the power and volume down buttons for about 30 seconds while the phone is plugged into a wall charger? When you look into the charging port on your phone, do you see any debris (lint, dust, paper, etc) obstructing the port?

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
WILJAC71
Enthusiast - Level 2

I only used the car charger while I was driving home,after I got home I used the wall charger.

0 Likes
WILJAC71
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have tried all the things that you have mentioned, even checked the charging port. So far nothing works. I have a new battery on order. Just noticed that the phone gets warm while it's plugged in

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The charging port or battery might be damaged or not wired as tightly as it should be. The new battery you have on order should help determine if the old battery is bad.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I do appreciate all that you have done Wiljac71. It does seem like you have done everything to try to get the phone to turn on. Let us know if you get your phone on once your battery comes in. We can then further assist you. How does that sound?

AmberF_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes