Re: S3 won't charge after Kit Kat update
Not applicable

The responsible party is " THE DEVICE MAKER & OS MAKER GOOGLE IN THIS CASE"

it is not the carriers.

The carriers do not code the devices they allow the updates over their networks. Your issue is with device makers and OS developers.

Not the carriers. The lawsuits are not on the carriers, and there are no class actions allowed as I have posted about a gazillion times already per the decision of the US Supreme Court.

Only single right of actions or arbitration,.

Good Luck

pzjagd1
Contributor - Level 3

Did you even read my post? I said, leaving aside who broke it (soooo NOT blaming Verizon) and I also said I wasn't planning a suit, so calm down.

The recent Apple fiasco is a good example of how it is supposed to work. The iOS update broke the phone and Apple not only acknowledged the fact, THEY FIXED IT.

Try answering my question. I'm out of warranty, so what am I supposed to do? Samsung says "out of warranty", Verizon says, "not our fault", Google says "blame somebody else". I sure as #%&% didn't do it!!!!

Bottom line for me; I'll never buy another Samsung product (got a Samsung TV with vertical black lines, very common on Samsung TVs), never another Android phone, and will probably leave Verizon when my contract is up next month. If enough others follow suit, maybe the "other" two non-responsible parties will force the third one to fix the problem. That's ALL I'm asking for; fix it!

pzjagd1
Contributor - Level 3

Here is how it is supposed to work. Years ago, I had a Ford Excursion that came with Firestone tires. When it was discovered that the tires were defective, Ford didn't say to me "take it up with Firestone, we're just the middle man". No, they said "bring it in to us and we'll replace the tires OR go buy new tires and bring us the bill. We will reimburse you and we'll go after Firestone later". Ford supported its customers, who had done nothing wrong.

I don't expect a new phone from Verizon. I expect them to go to bat for me and get my phone fixed. I think if you read back through all the complaints, 95% would be happy with that solution; a phone that works as Verizon advertised.  Most just want the old OS back, which I know we are told can't happen.

B33
Legend

Well you don't have to necessarily  leave"  Try another product, Motorola, LG, H.T.C and as for TV's LG does a pretty good in that arena too we have one it has a great picture the only thing it likes is the refresh rate on it is a bit on the slow side but other than that it does the Job. b

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Elector, the Hot Pocket reference was precious. The other stuff lacked soulfulness. I'm not disagreeing about who holds the warranty, but the warranty is pretty much not being enforced. A lot of liberty is involved if people are just getting cycled through refurb devices that have latent defects or behave in the same defective manner because of the OTA update.

Not to go too far off topic, but people are having problems with the Network Extenders (made by Samsung) because they don't get a good signal in their home (I wonder why), and these extenders, if not configured thoroughly by their owners to limit what devices can connect end up presenting a compromise to the traffic of other users on the network (the other user's phone will connect to the extender) and this is not only a security concern, it will affect their device reliability. That's a really good one worth a bit of pondering. So Verizon is marketing a device that will compromise other people's service at no fault to their own.

Can we all agree, Google had nothing to do with the Note3 using Band4? That's all Samsung and Verizon. Maybe I'm missing something. For the Note3 customers, you'd think it possible they'd be given access to the Service Menu to disable Band4, or there would be a special tool available to corporate stores for setting that feature off. Band4 is problematic for that device. Customer's could keep their phone working just fine on Band13. Everyone happy? Verizon and Samsung could do it and look good doing it. Must be a good reason why they won't...

What if you return your device X times (say X=3) for the same problem (let's say it's that GPS doesn't work, or let's say it's Charging, or I don't know, the basic phone - can't make calls, calls drop, no coverage). There should be a three strike policy when the OEM can't fix the device, and the OEM should buy back your device, or give you a new model. Would that be acceptable? That would force the OEM to do a better job of quality control, design, regression testing, etc.

If it's basic service related, or a safety concern like an overheating battery, I believe Verizon must act even if the OEM does not. And if the OEM didn't honor a 3-strike policy under the warranty, if Verizon protected the customer, the quality of the devices and the software updates would improve wouldn't they? It would be a self-limiting function and in the best interest of the carrier to only support preferential marketing and pricing for devices by OEMs that are reliable, of high quality, and have been regression tested properly with regards to updates.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Firestone paid for those mistakes not Ford. My grandfather will testify to that. He worked for Ford front office. Ford took the heat, but they didn't pay for the muff. Ford didn't do anything on their own. If Firestone didn't say anything to Ford and things hot the fan Ford wouldn't be held liable as they didn't know as Firestone withheld evidence or information. Many would blame Ford because they are a big bad corporation.

So for it to be comparable Samsung(Firestone) would have to tell Verizon(Ford) to recall, reimburse, or exchange devices(tires), and Samsung(Firestone) pays back Verizon(Ford) on all the costs. Which based on Samsung's track record they'll never do.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

The band 4 isn't the problem.

If there was a problem with band 4 and Samsung coded. ALL Samsung devices would be affected on T-Mobile. They use Band4 for 3G/4G/LTE.

0 Likes
pzjagd1
Contributor - Level 3

If Verizon would release an official statement along the lines of "we realize that many Samsung devices have had problems with the release of kitkat and we are working with Google & Samsung to get some resolution", I would probably stay. But instead, all we get is scripted "let's get your phone working", "try safe mode", "do a factory reset", "clear the cache", "buy a new battery", "use the OEM charger", blah, blah, blah; none of which work.

I know that we can't root and reinstall to the original OS. But Samsung could push it out as nothing more than an update that would install the original OS and give us a choice to do so or not. I, and most everyone else, would be satisfied with that.

stef7
Master - Level 2

Are you saying that the SW and the HW to support Band4 and also the frequencies are identical in the VZW and TMOBILE versions of the device? Or are you saying it's Verizon's network at fault?

Just curious.

The point is, if you disable Band4, the device uses Band13 and the coverage is not a problem.

0 Likes
pzjagd1
Contributor - Level 3

Sorry to tell you you are wrong. I took my Expedition to Sams Club and had Michelin tires installed. Then I took the old tires and the bill to the local Ford dealer. Within two weeks, I received a check, written on the local Ford dealer's account for the replacement cost of the tires. I don't care what your grandfather would attest to, I know what took place in my case.

Now I realize that Ford eventually went back to Firestone to recoup that cost. And that is what I'm saying Verizon should do with Samsung. If Samsung refuses to fix its mistake, Verizon can and should sever all ties with Samsung. If Verizon cared about their customers, that is what they would do. And that is why I may say adios to Verizon next month.

0 Likes