Re: S3 won't charge after Kit Kat update
lordofthejellies
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same issue, my phone was charging while doing the update and when it completed and booted up there was a red X on the battery icon.  I unplugged the cable and replugged it and now the phone will not charge at all.  The update broke my phone.

BruceJ

I was having same prob. I updated all my apps and "it appears" resolved

0 Likes
dmtml
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the same issue.  Before the kit Kat update, all of my home chargers, as well as 4 separate usb ports in my vehicle all charged the phone fine.   After the update, one of my home chargers won't charge (red x on battery icon)  and only one of the 4 USB ports in my car will charge the phone.  2 of them show a red x, and the other doesn't report anything!

This is not a phone or battery issue Verizon, it is a software problem.

0 Likes
TGlenn2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the same issue.

We have 3 Samsung S3 phones in our house and 2 of them had the update pushed to them today.

After the update neither phone would charge when connected to some of the charging cables in the house.

The third phone that didn't get the update charges just fine with the same cord.

THE PROBLEM IS THE UPDATE NOT THE PHONES.

B33
Legend

Are you using a Samsung OEM charger like the one that usually came with phone to charge it?

0 Likes
mattmilw

I updated to 4.4.2 yesterday, and the first thing I checked was if it would charge ok. Plugged in the charger and got the "dreaded" red X. Thinking it's not charging. I tried other chargers and cables, but still got the red X. Then, I noticed after the screen went to sleep, the red charging light came on. Well, maybe it is charging. I turned on the battery percentage, and noted the number. I checked it a few minutes later and it had increased. So, it is charging. I left it alone for a while, and the red light eventually turned green, and it said 100%.

For what it's worth, when I plug it into my PC, I get the charging symbol, not the Red X.

Bottom line, I don't think I have a charging issue, it's just different. The battery life after the update appears quite good. I'll see how the next charge goes.

0 Likes
AmandaLStrasser

My husband is having the same problem. Mine seems to be charging slower, but his won't charge at all on any of our chargers. Same as OP, we only started having these issues after the KitKat update.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

I would suggest not charging from a PC it's always better to charge with the charger that came with the phone as it's Designed to put out the correct Voltage for the Device..

0 Likes
AmandaLStrasser

We do not charge using the computer, though that was tried as well.

We always use the chargers that came with the device, and one has stopped working completely for both of us (which I don't get, for such an expensive device, why pair it with a crap charger?)

Either way, his phone refuses to charge on ANY....I repeat,,, ANY charger we have tried. Including the charger it came with. We have owned these phones for 1 year now, and the day the KitKat update was released, the phone would not charge any longer. It is an issue with KitKat.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

That's good as Customers have in the past and have had real headaches with there phones using that method of charging)  And as on going problem you'd think that Samsung would get on top of this issue and Correct my hope is that they will.. I've see Kit Kat issues as well  I bought a new Droid Maxx have seen it run really well before updating it too Kit Kat and after the update it ran so poorly I had to return it and get another one)  This current Droid Max I'm using still has Jelly Bean on it and it is running Fine although it pesters me to do the update I push it another 20 some hours and do the process again to keep it as it is.. I will do this till I see the issues go away with Kit Kat..

Hang in there Hopefully things will get Better Smiley Happy b33

0 Likes