Re: RE: Possible fix for disastrous firmware update
llamee
Enthusiast - Level 3

Jzo54k.i535vrbmb1 is what it updated to and is safe.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Smartphone

0 Likes
iteach1984
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having issues that my phone's 4g lte and reception is very spotty especially while driving. 

My build number is the one that ends with the "3" I downloaded the update back when it was first available.  Does the build number matter?  VERIZON CUSTOMER SERVICE please let me know. I'm not paying premium for spotty service. 

llamee
Enthusiast - Level 3

The one ending in 3 is the bad one affecting the 4g.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Smartphone

0 Likes
jerkstore81

Count me in as an affected user as well. I updated my Galaxy S3 firmware Sunday, June 2nd and totally regret it.

My poor 4G LTE reception and phone battery life has severely crippled my phone. Disabling the caller ID app was minimal help, and whomever thought auto-enrolling customers in a $3 per-month subscription to it should be fired.

Verizon, please fix this!

0 Likes
Superman302383948

What is the number to call? I am going to get a replacement phone. VW taking their precious time to fix the problem.

0 Likes
wgainey

800-922-0204

And the replacement phone works.

Got mine yesterday and everything is back to normal.

0 Likes
steve02045
Enthusiast - Level 2

Instructions to restore Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 to "STOCK" "Working" order.

MODERATOR: Please Note. These instructions are for a "STOCK" firmware. This is not

for a custom ROM and does NOT include "rooting" the device. This is

merely to get the device back functioning normally, prior to it having been

updated with a bad build.

Step 1: On a Windows PC which has a USB port, download the following two items:

a.) Stock Firmware I535VRBMB1 (4.2.1) from http://samsung-updates.com/device/?id=SCH-I535

b.) Odin from http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1168421&d=1341114315

c.) You may need winrar and/or pkuzip (or similar) to unpack the above

Step 2: Connect phone to PC using USB data cable (that came with the phone, a "charging" cable is

not sufficient.

a.) Connect/reconnect the phone a few times to ensure that all the drivers get installed. Windows should

do this automatically. Don't disconnect while the drivers are installing (I would do this a couple of times

to ensure all the necessary drivers get installed.

b.) run ODIN and connect the phone again to make sure it is recognized. If the phone is recognized, you will

see a device under ID:COM (just above the Options boxes), such as [0:COM5]. If it is blank, the phone is

not recognized. If that is the case, all the drivers are not installed and try disconnecting/reconnecting phone

to see if Windows will install more drivers.

Step 3: Flash phone.

a.) With phone disconnected. Put it in download mode. This requires powering off the phone first. Then hold

Volume Down [NOT Volume UP (recovery mode), there is a difference], the HOME button and power-on

button ALL at the same time.

b.) Start ODIN on the PC and then reconnect phone.

c.) In the Options section, make sure ONLY Auto Reboot & Reset Time options are selected.

d.) Check PDA check-box, and click on PDA button, filemgr will open and then select the tar.md5

file downloaded in Step 1/a above.

e.) Make sure device is recognized (ID:COM), see Step 2/b above.

f.) Click on Start button. The flashing process should take about 10 minutes.

MODERATOR NOTE:

Users of the Verizon Wireless Community are responsible for exercising careful and appropriate judgment in evaluating and taking action based on other participants' postings on Verizon Wireless Community, since such postings may reflect significantly different levels of knowledge and experience by participants. Users of the Verizon Wireless Community agree that Verizon Wireless is not responsible for the accuracy of the content of the Verizon Wireless Community and will not be liable for any damages incurred as a result of their use of any such content.

<<>>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

Smyles_P

I just got a replacement device on Saturday, and it has the JZ054k.I535VRBMB1 build. It never prompted me to do an update, nor is one available when I attempt to perform a Software Update via the phone's settings.

So if you get a replacement, it will not automatically update you to this "broken" update.

0 Likes
carlos31820
Enthusiast - Level 1

Moderator, thank you for not removing this post.  Using these instructions, I was able to downgrade my firmware to version I535VRBMB1 and my phone is working perfectly again.

jz68

>Comment deleted for discussing moderation<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes