Purple splotches under/in screen?
atxchip
Enthusiast - Level 2

This morning, when I picked up my phone and got to the home screen, there were lots of random purple splotches all over it. It looked like something had spilled on it, but when I tried to clean it, I realized the splotches were NOT on the outside. The phone performance seems OK. It sure hasn't been beaten up and was lying face down on my headboard all night.

What the heck? 'Spontaneous combustion?'

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Purple splotches under/in screen?
atxchip
Enthusiast - Level 2

The screen was replaced, just a few minutes ago and YES, REPLACING THE SCREEN COMPLETELY FIXED THE PROBLEM, in my case.

What caused the problem in the first place is still unknown. However, for my phone, the slowly degrading screen visibility was something local to the screen 'assembly" itself. Since I was carrying an Asurion extra warranty, the total replacement cost was $29.

View solution in original post

atxchip
Enthusiast - Level 2

Purple Splotches - additional info

I did see another user asking about something similar, but no response.

Attached is a pic of the screen in it's misery -PurpleScreen.jpg

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

Did you have a screen protector on? I am wondering what the faint purple line around the perimeter of the screen was caused by.

Klue
Master - Level 1

You can google it and there is a lot of info and complaints about the same problem.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Has there been any physical damage to your phone? For example, dropped or screen cracked?

AngelaP_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
atxchip
Enthusiast - Level 2

Klue, thanks for the response. No, I don't have a screen protector, nor has the phone been dropped or jarred. Weird pattern, yeah.

Angela, I'm 'assuming' the screen has a crack or something, too small for me to notice. Earlier this year, in March, yes, one of my cats bit the corner of the screen, causing a small crack. She's such a sweetheart. I did have an Asurion tech come out back then and replace the screen, so this is NOT the original screen.

As I said, I'm thinking there is a small crack on this and have placed a service ticket.

Even though I don't have a circuit diagram, I'm pretty sure these phones have a memory chip dedicated to the screen. I'm wondering if maybe that memory chip isn't allowing the pixels to be written or read back properly. Also, the logic that drives that function could be faulty, as well as maybe a loose or damaged ribbon cable. I'm hoping it's the latter.

Nonetheless, the display is getting progressively worse, so it's tough to read the bottom area, nowPurpleScreenDay3.JPG Attached is what the screen has progressed to.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

atxchip, 

We want to make sure we come to a resolution regarding your screen. Let's continue to look into this issue further. I have sent you a Private Message, please respond in order to proceed.

YeseniaV_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
atxchip
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello - The screen visibility has continued to deteriorate, so today it is 80%+ covered with black/purple pixels. An Asurion warranty tech is on the way, to replace the screen. I will reply later today about whether a screen replacement fixed this problem.

Thanks to all for the replies and suggestions. Yes, Klue, now I see other folks with this same problem alright, but am unsure of how they resolved it!

atxchip
Enthusiast - Level 2

The screen was replaced, just a few minutes ago and YES, REPLACING THE SCREEN COMPLETELY FIXED THE PROBLEM, in my case.

What caused the problem in the first place is still unknown. However, for my phone, the slowly degrading screen visibility was something local to the screen 'assembly" itself. Since I was carrying an Asurion extra warranty, the total replacement cost was $29.