Problems with 4.3 update, lied to by Verizon tech support
wiseoldunicorn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Like many other people, I've been having problems with my GS3 ever since I made the mistake of installing the Android 4.3 update. My phone freezes constantly--I won't even be using it and I'll pick it up and try to turn on the screen, and the screen stays black and the phone is completely unresponsive. It won't even power off. The only thing I can do to get it to respond is to remove the battery and put it back in. I've also been having issues with the battery draining ridiculously fast and the phone getting unusually hot, as well as Bluetooth connectivity issues--after a few minutes of speaking to someone on my Bluetooth headset, my microphone goes dead and they can no longer hear me unless I disconnect and reconnect the headset, making the $50 Bluetooth headset I recently purchased basically useless.

So I called Verizon tech support, and they told me to do a factory reset on my phone. Having already read about how many people were having issues, I was skeptical about its odds of success, but I went ahead and tried it anyway. It does seem to have helped the battery and heat issue somewhat, although it is still draining much faster than it ever did on 4.1.2. It's still freezing, still has Bluetooth issues, and to top it all off, it's developed a new problem since the reset. Now the Wi-Fi will go in and out, and it sporadically gives me an error message saying that my Wi-Fi connection is unstable. So Verizon drops unlimited data, and then they give us an update that forces us to use mobile data if we want to have a reliable Internet connection on our phones. Way to go, guys.

The first time I talked to tech support, when I did the factory reset, they told me to call in again if I was still having problems. So, I did. Having read all about the 4.3 issues on the Internet--issues which have been widely known about since November--all I really wanted them to do was send me a replacement phone with 4.1.2, so that I could at least have a stable operating system. Verizon is sending me a new phone, but they told me it would likely come with 4.3--so we'll see how things go, but I'm not really expecting the new phone to solve my problems, either. And worst of all, the Verizon rep I spoke to insisted on pretending that Verizon and Samsung knew nothing about the issues! There is a 39 PAGE THREAD ON VERIZON'S OWN WEBSITE with people complaining about these issues, and RIGHT HERE (https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/1039191#1039191) there is a Verizon rep ON THIS WEBSITE, publicly admitting that they know about the issues with the update. So WHY did the Verizon rep I spoke to insist on lying to me, even when I told him I already knew the truth??? I could even hear other people in the background talking about update issues when we were on the phone!! I'm already frustrated enough with these problems that I've been considering switching to another carrier. Verizon, apparently you don't know this, but...blatantly lying through your teeth to a customer that's already angry is NOT a good way to get them to stay with you. I switched from Sprint to Verizon for the sake of Verizon's superior customer service, but if this is the kind of service I can expect for the prices I pay? T-Mobile is looking better and better all the time. The ONLY reason I haven't already switched is because Verizon has better coverage.

I've been very happy with Verizon for some time--I even recently talked my fiance into signing up on our account rather than going with another carrier, since you guys have always had such amazing customer service. But this has been an awful experience, and it's really starting to change my mind. Bad enough that Verizon and Samsung let such a bug-filled update get through their quality control. Bad enough that Verizon is still forcing people to update their phones, even knowing of the issues. But for tech support to sit there and lie to me on the phone, and claim it's "not a known issue," when Samsung UK released an official statement about it back in November, it's all over every cellphone website on the Internet, and Verizon's own reps admitted it on their own website a good two weeks back? No. Just no. That is absolutely unacceptable behavior, and I have no use for a company that's going to treat me like I'm an idiot and try to give me the runaround when I call tech support. Even if my new phone works, unless Verizon does something REALLY amazing to make up for all this, I don't think I'll be staying once our contracts are up.

0 Likes
Re: Problems with 4.3 update, lied to by Verizon tech support
Tidbits
Legend

Samsung UK still pushed out the update. Samsung held all the cards. Samsung UK doesn't have the authority over any other part of Samsung in the world and gets overridden by the head office. Samsung chose to push out the update for their Gear sales. Samsung needs to fix their code and no carrier nor governing body can make them go faster in fixing the problem.

0 Likes
wiseoldunicorn
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is probably true, but I still don't appreciate being lied to by Verizon about the issues. All they would have had to do is tell me "Yes, we know about the issues, and we're working with Samsung to try to get things fixed ASAP." That and an ETA for a fix would have been all I needed to be perfectly happy. Instead, they sat there and lied through their teeth to me, even knowing that I was already upset and that I KNEW they were lying. I understand Samsung's the one that screwed up the code, but Verizon's handling of it has been ABYSMAL.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Verizon isn't going to have an ETA. They are in the dark like everyone outside of Verizon.

Due to popular belief everyone thinks carriers have some super role in the coding of any device which is been proven false. Carriers give applications(which carriers pay a software company to make) and guidelines(like requesting a locked boot loader). The rest is all handled by the manufacturer. No code is ever touched by carriers.

Also most reps are going to surf every forum and every website to know every information about any said device.

To top it off not everyone is having the issues. Seems like it affects maybe at worse 10% of their total user base(S3, S4, Note 2, and Note 3 users worldwide). Seems like a lot because when something bad happens people tend to be more vocal than those who have no problems.

I have 1 S3, 2 S4, 1 Note 2, and 1 Note 3. Some gave trouble and was fixed with a reflash, and only one of those still gave me fits so I chucked it in the trash(S3).

Personally I am not a Samsung fan(haven't been one). Just people are at our office live and breath Samsung marketing.

0 Likes
wiseoldunicorn
Enthusiast - Level 2

I understand the update problems are Samsung's fault, and the responsibility for fixing them also lies with Samsung. I called Verizon knowing that, and simply wanting them to send me a new phone with 4.1.2, so I could have a stable operating system. I'm not upset at Verizon because of the update problems, I'm upset with them because of how they've HANDLED the problems--which has nothing whatsoever to do with Samsung.

The rep wouldn't have had to go to every forum and every website. All he would have had to do is take one look at THIS forum--it's all over the front page. Or any other cellphone-related forum or website out there, for that matter, as it's all over every S3 discussion group I've found. It took me less than five minutes on Google to find out that a lot of people were having problems with the update. If I honestly know more about widespread technical issues with Verizon's phones than a Verizon tech support rep does, purely from five minutes of searching on Google, then perhaps Verizon's tech support reps are not very good.

Maybe YOU find it acceptable to pay $300/month to a company, only to have them lie to your face when you try to turn to them for help with a problem. I, however, do not.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

This forum is not an official forum they go into. This is peer to peer. Sometimes reps do come here, but it isn't required. With the amount of posts here they'll miss a lot of stuff. I often miss some good info due to the sheer amount of posts that can happen in a short period of time.

To get a device without the recent update is very unlikely. Samsung has been updating their refurbs to the newest OS(reports have shown this to be true), and also calling them they require you to update first before any tech support can happen. So you'd have to luck out at this point to get the older OS. Also after so many declines the update will be forced(Samsung's code not any carriers code).

0 Likes
wiseoldunicorn
Enthusiast - Level 2

You would have to be trying very, very hard to miss the amount of posts and complaining there has been regarding this issue. As I said, we even heard people in the same room discussing the problems. For them to try to tell me it's a non-issue is extremely insulting.

You seem very bent on pointing fingers at Samsung and making excuses for Verizon lying to their customers. I can only assume you must be a Verizon employee. Thanks for trying, but no, there really is no excuse for the way I've been treated.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Like I said before it's not their job to come here... What they are taught and trained to do is what the screen tells them to do... You'd be surprised how many "call centers" employ the same setups. Hire anyone would can follow what the computer tells them.

That's all I am saying. You run into a few that'll know more than most, but those people probably be gone sooner than later.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Like I said before... I own Samsung devices across all major US carriers. I visit the forums too. Everything that's in common is everyone thinks the carriers did this and yet I have not seen one person actually put any blame and pressure on Samsung. Europeans however been seeming to do it right for years though.

0 Likes
wiseoldunicorn
Enthusiast - Level 2

If the Verizon Wireless reps on these forums can admit to people that it's a known issue, then there is no reason that the person I spoke to on the phone could not have admitted it to me as well. Period. As I said, perhaps you think this kind of customer service is acceptable, but I don't.

And yes, I realize Samsung is also at fault, and I have every intention of calling their technical support as well. What I am upset at Verizon about is the fact that their tech support rep lied to me and told me Verizon knew nothing about it, when they clearly do, as evinced by their reps' own posts on their very own forums. Even if you are correct and he truly did know nothing about it, then that points to very poor communication among Verizon tech support reps, as this is a very widespread issue that at least some of their forum reps clearly DO know about. Strangely enough, the idea that their tech support is awfully run does not actually make me feel any kinder towards them or more willing to stay with them.

Now stop playing damage control. If you really are a consumer and not a Verizon employee, then the amount you are sticking up for their right to  lie to their consumers is downright sad.

0 Likes