Problem: Audio on calls not working
J_____Miller
Enthusiast - Level 2

Phone:  Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 - Model SCH-I545 - Android Version: 4.4.2  Baseband version: I545VRUFNK1

Symptoms:  When placing a call or receiving a call, I cannot hear the other caller, and they cannot hear me.  Other caller can hear my dialpad keypresses, but I cannot hear their dialpad keypresses.  I am able to place calls and receive calls, but no audio.

When:  Started as an intermittent problem about 5 days ago, yesterday and today (2015-01-26) was consistently a problem.

What I've done:  Tried phone restart, soft reset, checked "OK, Google" settings, various other suggestions.  Finally today I did a factory reset.

After the factory reset today, the audio problem still existed.  After a few hours I called my phone from another cell phone, and everything worked.  Made several more incoming and outgoing test calls (voice mail, etc) and everything was working fine for about an hour.  Then audio problem reoccured and the audio has not worked since.  Around the (brief) time that it was working today, I had not made any changes to the phone. 

Since it stopped working today, I've done the following:

- Deleted all 3rd party apps

- Uninstalled all updates on stock (non-removable) apps

- Re-updated all apps

- Disabled "OK Google" setting

- Switched SIM cards with my wife's phone (audio not an issue with my SIM card in my wife's phone, so it seems to be a device problem, not a SIM card problem...)

- Used headphones

- Used speakerphone

After each of the above things, it did not fix my problem.  When dialing out, I can hear the connection beep in the phone speaker and in the headphones, but no voice audio.  The microphone works fine with other apps (text messaging, etc.).  So I've determined that the speaker and the microphone are operational.  I can receive and answer calls (but again, no audio)  When I'm connected with another caller, they can hear the tones if I press on the dialpad numbers, but I cannot hear tones if they press on their dialpad numbers.  

The only thing I have not tried is a BlueTooth headset.  I have had Bluetooth turned off the entire time.

Essentially the phone works as expected except for no audio on calls.  Internet, text messaging, email, Google voice search, etc are all working normally.

Any suggestions?  Several other posts with the same issue, but mine is not resolved with a factory reset....

Thanks for your input

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Problem: Audio on calls not working
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

J_____Miller,

Wow! You have done a lot of troubleshooting. We appreciate all the extra leg work you have done. Let's get to the bottom of the missing audio. You stated you have done a factory reset on the device. We encourage you to do another one. Make sure auto-restore is not checked. This will not allow any information or applications to redownload at this time. By doing this it will show if there is an application causing the issue. Even though you deleted the applications it may have caused the issue in between the time it downloaded and was removed.

RobinD_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

J_____Miller
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here is what I did this morning...

Settings --> Accounts --> Backup and Reset --> UNCHECKED Automatic Restore

Then clicked on "Factory data reset" and followed the prompts to wipe the

device.

After the phone came back on and started the setup process, I unchecked

"Sync Contacts", and skipped setting up any kind of email account or Google

account. I then hit *228 and hit Send.

I then long-pressed 1 to call Voice Mail... I can hear the "call

connection" tone in the ear piece, but I cannot hear any voice.

I then called my wife's phone, call went through but no audio. She was

able to hear the tones when I pressed the number pad on my phone, but no

voice came through

Text messaging, internet, and other phone functions work as expected.

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 8:28 AM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

the_darkest1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having the same issue on my S4 and no help thus far on the problem. The only solution is to power cycle the phone but it only works for a short amount of time. It sounds like you have tried everything and nothing is working for you too.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

J_____Millerm,

You are a rockstar for us! We appreciate every step you have taken. Is there any physical or liquid damage on the device? How long have you had this device?

RobinD_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
J_____Miller
Enthusiast - Level 2

I bought this device outright (through BestBuy) about a year and a half

ago. It has no damage. This is definitely a software issue because the

microphone and speaker work fine otherwise.

J Miller

On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 11:34 AM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

J_____Miller, that is wonderful details. I have requested to follow you. I have also sent you a Direct Message. Can you please respond back to that direct message so we can go over what options we may have. I hope to hear from you soon.

0 Likes
GRuss150

I am having essentially the same problems as those described by J_Miller. This is my 3rd Galaxy S4 (which I love). I broke the first two. I have not had ANY problems with the first two S4s. I just activated my 3rd (new) S4 last night (Sat/4/4). Thought all was good. Today I discovered the problems that J_Miller describes. All phone functions work fine, except for calls. With calls to/from others and with chk'g voice msgs, the phone acts as though calls are taking place, but I hear no sound. People on the other end of a call also hear no sound.

I noticed a "headphone" icon at the top of my phone. I have never seen that before. I don't own headphones. I've never used or installed anything to do with headphones on my phone. I've never listened to music on any phone I have ever owned, ever.

The icon leads me to suspect that my phone thinks I have a headphone installed on the phone and that all sound is being sent to the headphones.... rather than through the device itself, speakerphone, or Bluetooth headset. Also, when I pull down the notification window, there is a menu bar that states: "Recommended apps (Earphones)". I have never seen this menu bar before. It includes icons for: Messaging, Settings, Google Maps, Contacts, and AccuWeather.

Since I just activated this phone, I was planning to do a factory reseat and start over. But after reading J_Miller's thread, I'm afraid that solution won't work.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you!

GRuss150

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
GRuss150, We definitely want to ensure your phone audio is working! You mentioned that you are planning to process a factory reset http://spr.ly/658643rI. This is the best next step in correcting this. Be sure that "Automatic Restore" is not checked. Please check the headset jack for any debris as well. Please keep us updated on any changes in the phone audio once these steps are completed.
TanishaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
Nicholasrey
Enthusiast - Level 1

This matter is not a device issue but a service issue. For how much we all pay for this supposed top notch service. What is Verizon going to do about fixing the matter in their service? It does not matter what phone it is. I have an iphone 10. There are multiple phones listed here. My company uses Moto z2’s and 3’s. ALL VERIZON. They all do the same thing.