Power drain on s3 after jelly bean update
FrankenJD
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ever since the jelly bean update, I have been having a major power drain issue. When I check battery use, something called "Media" is draining my battery at a ridiculous rate. It uses the download icon for the app but it is rare that I download anything when I am not at home and connected to the charger and my wifi network. I have checked it at various times and after different levels of usage. I am attaching a couple of screenshots to show the problem. I have tried to force stop it and it just restarts itself immediately. I know this never happened prior to the Jelly Bean update because even after 12 hours of use it was common to have 30%-40% battery left. Anyone have any ideas?

Screenshot_2013-01-07-12-36-10.png

Screenshot_2013-01-07-17-45-33.png

Screenshot_2013-01-21-23-27-52.png

Re: Power drain on s3 after jelly bean update
IceCool
Enthusiast - Level 1

I wish I had an answer. I am having the same problem.I now have to charge my phone twice a day, and I barely use it. What is going on here? I hope someone has an answer or I will be returning this POS.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you checked out the "similar" discussion to the side of your post or a search of this community to see if anyone has asked the question before?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
IceCool
Enthusiast - Level 1

no I haven't. First time on this forum. Sorry. Just trying to find an answer.

0 Likes
FrankenJD
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have searched the forums and support but I can't find anything that addresses this particular app (that has been answered) which is the problem. Thanks.

0 Likes
Jegan

Exactly same issue since two days after JB update in a month, After reading several forums I have uninstalled Google Play Music and other Google Play and going to watch what it does. Also I have disabled all Location services which uses gps to drain the battery further. But I never seen GSIII in my 8 months uses to drain like this fast, in 3 hrs all drains down! Sucks!

0 Likes
Intercepter

I also have this issue.  I use the Google Play Music Player and after the first use it kills the battery.  I have to force stop it for good battery life.

0 Likes
FrankenJD
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, I have figured out the issue. Apparently it is an app called Media Server that is constantly draining the battery. I disabled it and now have excellent battery life. The problem is that with Media Server disabled I no longer have ringtones or alarm notifications. If I want to selectively enable and disable Media Server throughout the day to save on battery life, is there a way just to re-enable one application out of the several that I have disabled? Currently the only option I have is to reset ALL applications which is pretty dumb.

0 Likes
FrankenJD
Enthusiast - Level 2

Never mind figured that out too. Disabled app (that I thought had disappeared from the Application Manager/All screen) are at the bottom of the list. Now if I can just figure out why Media Server runs so much all will be good.

0 Likes
t_jones

If you do a Google search you will find that this is a reported bug in Android 4.1.1.  It is not related to the Media Server but some code that recursively indexes files on your phone.  Google has apparently fixed it (or made it less severe in terms of battery drain) in 4.1.2 which has been out for a while now, of course not on VZW.  I've talked to Tech Support and presented all this info but to no avail.  When I have to reboot or restart my phone and look at the amount of CPU time devoted to "Media" I find that the actual CPU time is between 49 and 50 minutes, the stay awake time is around 52-53 minutes.  The sad part is that I'm only using about 2.76 gb of my phone's ram and 6.8 gb of a 32 gb SD card.  This is the best explanation of the issue that I've been able to find: http://rowan.smith.gen.nz/post/37744838003/media-battery-consumption-revisited . You can also search at code.google.com

0 Likes