Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15 Plus. Newphoria. Get it on us with select Unlimited plans. New line req'd. No trade-in req'd. Online only. Ends 3.31. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 4,339 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions
Post-Oreo crashing upon rotate
VinnieDSquirrel
Enthusiast - Level 2

My wife and I both have Samsung Galaxy S8 devices. They recently got the Verizon-pushed Oreo update. Since then, both devices will either hang for up to 2 minutes or completely crash and reboot when the device is rotated, causing the screen to rotate/redraw. Is there a patch or workaround?

Re: Post-Oreo crashing upon rotate
VinnieDSquirrel
Enthusiast - Level 2

Occasionally, after a hang, we get a system message that "System UI isn't responding" with a close/wait option.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

After the update did you clear the cache partition in recovery mode?

Shut the phone off then press and hold Volume up-power-home

this will put the phone in recovery mode.

If you have done this I am sorry for bring it up but this is what Samsung

and Verizon told me to do back when I had a S5 that did not handle an

update. I have done this with the S5 and the S7 edge and it has helped.

It does not always work for certain problems but it does clear out a lot

of old files that the phone does not need anymore. It also does not reset

any of your phone settings that you have on it.

Verizon has a software assistant program that if you can get it to work

it can also help repair the phone if the update did not take right on your

phone. Which with the System Ui message you are getting sounds like

something went wrong with the update.

Repair Assistant - Software Upgrade Assistant (Samsung) | Verizon Wireless

VinnieDSquirrel
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, so far it only happens even the phone is rotating. I have turned off auto-rotate and it helps, but when I tell a video to go full screen (forcing a landscape rotation) or activate the camera on landscape mode (which still auto-rotates) it will hang. Roughly 90 seconds later, we will learn if it handles the rotation and does it's job, or if it hard crashes and reboots.

I would believe it's a fluke if it didn't happen to BOTH our phones.

We can easily back up the data if needed.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the additional information. We know how important it is to make sure that your device is working properly at all times. With the phone being backed up can you go ahead and perform a factory data reset to see if that rectifies the issue.

FranciscoP_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
ScottmanZ
Enthusiast - Level 2

Did you ever get this issue resolved?  I have been having the exact same issue since the Oreo update.  Phone locks up every time when rotating to landscape . I had to lock it in portrait mode to prevent it.  I was hoping the update this morning would fix the issue, but no dice.  Tried cache clear, factory reset, nothing works and no one has admitted there is an issue yet.

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

From what I have read Samsung is aware that there are problems with the Oreo update. I just hope that they push out a update to take the phone back to nugant until they get a fix for Oreo.

I know they claim once you update your phone you can't go back but Samsung must have a way to return

these phone to nugant

0 Likes
VinnieDSquirrel
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not resolved yet. Was also hoping the latest update would fix the only bug we've had thus far, but no such luck. Haven't gone the full-backup-and-nuke route yet, however.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You should not have to lock your device in portrait mode. I can see how that would be an hassle for you. I do want to make sure you are all set with your device. You mentioned that the update caused this issue so let's figure this out together. With regard to the device have you updated all of the other applications on your phone? Please also explain what you mean by locking up. 

0 Likes