Pie update S8 Broke 4G/LTE
MCT-VA

We have 2 Samsung S8 phones. They recently updated to Android Pie. Since the update both phones are having signal issues. There is either no signal or 1x or 3G and every once in a while 4G. Have taken the phones to Verizon Store and they have done everything including a Network Reset and replaced the SIM card. No luck. Did a factory data reset and same issues.

Is there anything anyone has tried to remedy this problem. We put the SIM into an old Samsung Note 5 and signal level, where there is none on the S8, has all bars and 4G. Both S8 phones are essentially useless.

Also, seems this is a problem with Pie and S8. This as experienced by another carrier.

https://www.slashgear.com/sprint-galaxy-s8-and-note-8-lose-lte-after-android-9-pie-update-07572348/

Any advice would be appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Pie update S8 Broke 4G/LTE
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate your efforts, in an attempt to resolve the issues caused by the update. Moving forward, the factory reset was the last effort on our end, to fix this. Due to our troubleshooting steps being exausted, let us ask, have you contacted Samsung yet, to see if they are working the software issue?

CraigS_VZW

0 Likes
MCT-VA

Have not contacted Samsung as the phone is a Verizon phone and, it is my understanding that Verizon controls when Android updates go out. However, I will contact Samsung.

I have posted this same message on Samsung's community.

0 Likes
tfay412
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm not experiencing the same issues, but I do have a slew of new issues since the Android Pie Update. Battery is draining much faster, Apps are having issues downloading from play store, Apps don't respond properly when pushing notifications, they will take upwards of 90 seconds to respond, and Neither Verizon nor Samsun really wants to take ownership of the issue even though Verizon feels it's ok to force their software into our devices that we pay full price for. 

0 Likes
MCT-VA

@tfay412  I called Samsung support and told them what is going on. They advised me to go to a "Samsung Experience" section at a Best Buy to have them reflash the device. Well, Samsung is in the process of closing all these sections, so have to go to a Samsung store which are few and far between; none near where I live. Called them back and both phones are now on their way to Samsung for them to figure out what needs to be done. Who know that that's going to cost me.

@vzw_customer_support It is so very disappointing that Verizon does not offer these services nor take ownership of a product they sell. After all, they are one of the largest sellers of Samsung phones which all have a Verizon logo on them. The choices I was given by Verizon: (1) do all the resets, etc., (2) put in a claim with insurance, and (3) "we have nothing to do with the phones, call Samsung." As I said, very disappointing.

0 Likes
MCT-VA

@vzw_customer_support  Given that this is a Verizon branded phone, I would have expected Verizon to own the issue and follow-up with Samsung. And, given that others are compaining about the Pie update with multiple patches being released and, another provider, Sprint, owning up this issue, why isn't Verizon taking the same level of ownership?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want you to have a working device tfay412. Software updates are meant to improve your device performance. I apologize for the trouble you are having. We are here to help. When was the update performed? Battery functions can take up to 48 hours to normalize. Are you suffering device slowness due to your internal storage being full? Please use this link for the steps:https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-211237/.   BobbyN_VZW

0 Likes
jmsfll
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am also experience reception issues since upgrading to Pie.  I have a Verizon branded s8+.   I have been on Pie a few weeks.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jmsfll We are sorry to learn you are having reception issues with the Pie update. Can you provide a few details. Does this happen at a specific location? What is affected call, data, messages? Was service fine prior to the update? DoloresK_VZW

0 Likes
MCT-VA

It happens no matter where we are. We could be standing at the same place and a Note 5 has perfect signal (4 bars with 4G) the the S8 sitting at no signal or with 1 bar with either no data or at 1x. In fact, we have been in direct line of sight to a Verizon tower and about 400-500 yards away and experience the same problems. 

I sent the phones to Samsung as advised by someone else at Verizon and now I am being asked to pay $500 per phone to repair. A repair that I find totally ridiculous as both phones were working perfectly before the Android Pie update.

0 Likes