Phone won't recognize charger
snowdawg

I have had my S5 for 14 months and last night it stopped recognizing any chargers.  I have tried USB, USB 3.0 cords and even wasted $25 dollars on a replacement charger and it still won't work.  The phone has never been in water, dropped, or had anything else happen to it.  When I bought the phone I enrolled in a protection plan but when I checked into getting a replacement I was informed that my protection plan was dropped because my bank card was compromised and I had to get a new card issued.  The only communication I had from the Verizon store regarding this was an email buried in spam. You would think the Verizon store would have called to let me know they couldn't process my payment considering the consequences. Our family has been with Verizon for well over 10 years but this whole ordeal is the last straw for us.  I am looking for some way to keep my phone functional until our contract is up in ~9 months and we can move on to a different provider.  I have tried all of the fixes/workarounds I could online and nothing works.  Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Phone won't recognize charger
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

snowdawg, we definitely want to make sure that you have a working phone. We never want for this to happen. We would be saddened to see you leave us. Let’s work together to get this fixed so we can continue working together for years to come. The only time when the insurance drops off is when the customer request for the removal of the insurance or two replacement device has been sent out due to physical/liquid damage. We would like to look more into this. I will be sending you a private message.
ZangY_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
rflulling
Enthusiast - Level 3

Apple based charge cable have a chip. Attempting to use third-party charge cables will result in the phone eventually disabling or ignoring foreign chips installed in those cables. Cables without chips are usually ignored completely. Cables that work from the store typically are disabled overtime remotely by Apple. From your perspective the cables will seem to stop working at random. Of course there is always the possibility that there is another issue such as the charge port itself has become damaged from the PCB inside the phone. There is also the possibility that there may be some kind of dirt finger grease or other filth inside of the charge port.

0 Likes
snowdawg

Thanks for the reply.  I know I have never used an Apple based cord because the only Apple device we own is an iPhone 4 that doesn't have a compatible charger.  I have tried cleaning the charging port, slow charging via computer, taking the cover off, taking the battery out, made sure the charging tabs are not bent, and everything else short of tearing into the phone and replacing the charging port.  I have watched a few videos on doing this but I'm not very confident I can pull it off without completely ruining the phone.

0 Likes
rflulling
Enthusiast - Level 3

It is entirely possible that the port is damage may be repaired. I'm sure

there are great many videos online explaining how to do this. But given

that I am an experienced technician at doing these repairs, I can tell you

first hand that while some are very easy many are not. Many times over when

a port is damaged from the board it is so severe that the repair is only

good enough to help the user get data off the device. PCBs are not meant to

be repairable. If you are lucky yours might be as simple as a cold solder

joint which is somewhat common and completely repairable. But that's if

Luck is with you. If you are unlucky then a grounding pad worked its way

loose and when that happened one or more of the other 5 to 10 pads we're

torn free from the main PCB, at that point the board has become nearly

beyond repair.

What I might recommend you to consider based on experience, I do not know

the current deals and offerings are for contract users at this time.

However,

0 Likes
rflulling
Enthusiast - Level 3

However... you may I would recommend contact Verizon support, I would

recommend speak with a representative at the best buy Cell Service Desk,

and I would recommend maybe also stopped in to a Verizon retail store

perhaps as an alternative to waiting on the phone. Find out what your

options are and what the current promotional deals are for contract users.

It is entirely possible that you may be currently eligible for an upgrade

to a newer iPhone device. Previous deals maybe through other providers have

been a sweet as a dollar to as little as a penny for the upgrade. I do not

know if that deal is available to you, and I do not know if that deal is

available to Verizon users or has ever been.

Bear in mind if your current device does not use a Thunderbolt cable the

new one will and as previously described they have a chip in the cable and

while they work for a while some longer than others is that absolutely up

to Apple how long those cables choose to work for.

0 Likes