Phone app on S3 intermittently freezes when placing a call
blaisdf

The built-in phone application on my S3 (Jelly Bean 4.1) will randomly go offline such that when I try to make a phone call, the calling app completely freezes up. The rest of the phone and its apps work just fine while this call problem is happening. I can switch over to any other app on the phone without a problem while the outgoing call is frozen. The only way to terminate the call is to reboot the phone.

After a reboot, the phone works fine for some random period. I can receive and place calls, etc. But at some point in the day, I'll try to make a call and the phone app simply freezes up again. Since I never know when this will happen, I have to place "check calls" to the weather, voice mail, etc. to make sure the phone app is operational.

I took the phone to a Verizon store yesterday and showed the representative that my phone had been frozen in a "call in progress" state for the past 45 minutes - so they could see it for themselves. His said that 90% of the problems they are seeing with Android phones have been related to customer installed third party apps. His recommendation was to do a hard reset on the phone, clearing out all my 3rd party installed apps, and use the phone for a day or two to see if the problem goes away. If it does, then I should install one 3rd party app a day to see which one might be causing the S3's internal phone app to freeze. If that doesn't solve the problem, then Verizon would replace the phone.

Anyone else experiencing this phone app freeze problem?

0 Likes