Phone Microphone Low/Poor Quality Audio
RLPinBTR

I have received complaints about my poor audio quality on the S5 in the telephone mode (my voice into the phone line). Reports reveal the audio is low and muffled. This problem seems to be wide-spread and discussed at Galaxy S5 Explained: Audio | Samsung Electronics Official Blog: Samsung Tomorrow  in the customer responses. I have spent two lengthy chat sessions with the first level Samsung tech support folks. They have no recognition of this being an issue and have submitted a service ticket up the line. In summary of my testing, a BT headset provides great audio (my voice into the phone line), using the audio recorder app on the phone provides good audio also. I can cup my palm under the phone while talking in the phone mode and increase the level somewhat, but this isn't a proper or practical solution and is also uncomfortable and sound remains muffled (not sharp & crisp). I have enabled/disabled the background noise reduction mode without noticeable change. Any ideas or solutions would be greatly appreciated!

0 Likes
Re: Phone Microphone Low/Poor Quality Audio
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is really strange, RLPinBTR. Sorry to hear of all the issues you are encountering during voice calls.  Please keep us all posted with regards to your ticket with Samsung. For now, with your phone, have you tried clearing the cache from the Phone App? Settings>App or Application Manager>All>Phone>Clear Cache and Data > Force Close

Can help with audio quality. Keep us posted!

NicandroN_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
RLPinBTR

NicandroN_VZW,

Yes, I did try flushing the cache and that action had no effect on the phone transmit audio.

Your claim that this issue is "strange" is in itself strange as this problem is recorded elsewhere on the Vz forums and well as all over the Internet ("Google Samsung Galaxy S5 poor audio quality" or similar to see the frequency of complaints by many, many customers. Also, review the URL/link in my original posting to see how many people on the site have provided supporting complaints about this issue.

Can Verizon Support file a complaint with Samsung to see if VZ can get some action on this widespread issue?

Rick

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

RLPinBTR,

I can understand your concern. I was able to dive a little deeper into this issue you are having with the Audio on the phone. Are you currently up to date with the latest software on the device? You can always check that by going into Settings, System Updates, Check for new Software Update. Please keep us posted.

KevinR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport 

0 Likes
RLPinBTR

Kevin,

Yes, I am up to date on the software including the Samsung update issued yesterday. 

As noted in my posting and those by others on the Internet, this issue is not isolated to just a few phones. Hardware swaps and software upgrades, including factory reset and clearing the cache , do not resolve this issue. 

I have also read the Samsung document on the S5 audio features and have toggled the background noise reduction feature along with other audio options without noticeable change. 

From my research,  it appears to be something in the phone mic processing as the audio recorder seems to capture loud and clear audio. Is it possible that the mic audio is processed differently for the phone than it is for the audio recorder? 

I appreciate your attention and hope that Verizon may be able to gain the attention of Samsung to recognize and correct this issue. 

Regards, 

Rick

Sent from my wireless device 

0 Likes