Phantom data usage on GalaxyS5
SSwee7
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ever since my husband and I got our Galaxy S5's, we have been going over way over our data usage. I have been paying attention to our data log, and it shows data usage when a) we're sleeping b) connected to wifi at home or work, and c) don't even have the phone with us, i.e., playing in a hockey or volleyball game. Why are we paying for data that we are not even using? I have mobile data turned off on my phone and background data restricted. I clear the in app cache. What else do I have to do? This is absurd. We went with the recommended data usage when we got the plan, and apparently we should have accounted for Verizon using our phone at random hours. The thing that really gets me angry is the phone using mobile data when I'm connected to wifi. I understand service may go in and out, but not as often as the data usage log shows. 

I've been a loyal Verizon customer since my first cell phone (many years now), and I just do not see the value in their services anymore. It has become more of a hassle to be a customer and certainly more expensive.

So, basically, I just flat out do not want to pay for data that we're not using and I don't want to be ripped off anymore.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Phantom data usage on GalaxyS5
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

Ouick fix: Go into your settings again and go to your data usage and set Mobile data limits also Limit mobile data use and Alert me about data usage This will cut off any overage use of data and lower your bill.

View solution in original post

Snn5
Legend

Do you have any power saving settings in Menu--Settings--Wifi---Menu---Advanced set to "Keep wifi off during sleep?" 

0 Likes
SSwee7
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have it set to always keep wifi on during sleep.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I do know that small...VERY small amounts of data are used over the mobile network even with Mobile Data off.  I have about ~1-2mb used this month and my data has been off ALL month.  I was told this is because the system checks for updates and such at random times.  I don't get that really, to me, if data is off, it should be off, but I noticed this about the time VoLTE Advanced Calling 1.0 was updated on my phone (LG G2.)  It was also explained that sometimes an app gets through the block before realizing it is data restricted.  In your Mobile Data screen in settings and menu, what apps are you seeing that are using the data?  I also know that if Mobile Data is on and wifi is on, if you reboot the phone that data will come on first before wifi connects and uses min amount of data.

0 Likes
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

Ouick fix: Go into your settings again and go to your data usage and set Mobile data limits also Limit mobile data use and Alert me about data usage This will cut off any overage use of data and lower your bill.

Snn5
Legend

My Data Manager - Data Usage - Android Apps on Google Play

Also an app I use.  Manages your data by daily amount and you can set 2 other alarms at other data intervals.  Reads the data use much more accurately than the phones stock/built in counter.  Might be a good idea to use this, or cautiously using the phones counter until you get a handle on the issue and know what app is running wild.

0 Likes
SSwee7
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you. I will try all these suggestions, hopefully something will change.

Snn5
Legend

You're welcome!

0 Likes