PHONE UPGRADE-APPLE OR GALAXY PHONE WHAT DO I DO?
casc78
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Everybody,

I have a phone upgrade available and  I am needing insight about the Apple vs. Samsung Galaxy phone. I'm leaning towards Samsung because I have learned that the Android allows the customer to make changes to their phone and Apple does not. Also, the new plan type of "share data" is confusing. Is anyone saving any money on the new changes? Example: unlimited data (grandfathered plan) was $29.99, now it's $40.00 and then the call plan of $70.00; I'm giving an example. I think you all know what's out there, anyway your input is greatly appreciated. I was also considering leaving Verizon after 10 yrs on their plan and go to T-mobile or Sprint; I look forward to your input.

Thanks again,

CASC78

0 Likes
Re: PHONE UPGRADE-APPLE OR GALAXY PHONE WHAT DO I DO?
cad70
Enthusiast - Level 1

I will be getting the S3 soon....upgrading from a Droid Incredible 1.  BTW....spread this info around.  If you upgrade your primary phone by using the eligible upgrade from another line on your plan, your ORIGINAL unlimited plan is still yours to keep.  You do not get the $50 online discount, but you will continue to have unlimited data plan.

That is per Verizon customer service.  If I upgrade the phone on my primary line, I will be forced into a more expensive tiered data plan.

CD

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

just my opinion, but the siii or note ii (my wife has the siii and i have the note ii). it really just depends on how you use it and what you use. since you posted this in the siii forum, you're likely going to get an overwhelming response of "get the siii." if you post it in the iphone forum, you'd get an overwhelming "get the iphone" response. siii=bigger screen, more customization, flash capability, and widgets, to name a few advantages. the cameras are comparable, but i do believe the iphone has the edge there. not sure what you are upgrading from, but apple is proprietary in the sense that you have to get particular cords, accessories, etc. androids all use micro usb inputs so cords, accessories, etc are much more universal.

0 Likes
Jimbo33x

I just "upgraded" from a Droid-x to the galaxy s3. It is going back and I don't recommend it. First of all, I am a heavy user of swipe keyboard input but the S3 can't have swype enabled and turn off predictive. In english. With swipe turned on I can't send a text message "Jimbo, meet me on Latta Rd". It changes Jimbo to Jjimbo and Latta rd to something else and won't let me override it. I don't have this problem on the droid-x. Next is much worse voice recognition. I do not have an accent. For instance on this phone if I tell it to "call Gail" it will come back every time and say "Dale not found in contacts". Old phone and previous Samsung Fascinate didn't have these problems. Then there is compatability with android application issues. My daughter has an  I-Phone and when she installs an application it just works, no drama. An example, my old droid and fascinate came with a widget that easily let me turn on-off GPS, Bluetooth etc.. I tried installing the Go Switch Widget. It gets great reviews so it does work for most people. It behaves like malware on the S3. It changed my wallpaper, removed my icons and replaced them randomly etc.. I then tried GPS Toggle widget. It is also not compatible with the S3, it will allow you to turn GPS off but not on. In short I tried many (~10) apps that the google play store said was compatible with the S3 but only one actually was.

I don't know what I am going to get. My sister just got the Razr-M so I will play with that and see if it has similiar issues. If the Apple I-Phone didn't have such a small screen I would get it in a heart beat., Down lod an app, any app and it just works.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

You should check out elixir 2. It has great toggles (among the billion other things it does).

0 Likes
maya0630
Contributor - Level 3

I don't know if that is what you want, but you can toggle a lot of the settings from the notification bar on the S3.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

Many....but not wifi (for no good reason)

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Casc78, it makes me sad that you're considering leaving VZW! As far as choosing between Apple and Android, that is really a matter of personal preference and I would recommend trying out both in a VZW store. If you are a person who likes to customize your phone screen like you mentioned, then Android may be best for you. On the other hand, Apple is very simple and straightforward in design and setup.

I'll be happy to clear up any confusion on the Share Everything plans. All of the plans inlcude unlimited calls and messaging. You'll then select how much data you need. For example, if you want 4GB, it would be $70 for the account access, then $40 for each smartphone, $30 for each basic phone on your account.

We do have many customers that save money on the Share Everything plans, specifically those that have multiple smartphones. I want to make sure you're aware that you can also add a tiered data plan on your line only. How much data do you use? Complete a usage analysis on My Verizon to find out http://bit.ly/TAenoK. Most of our customers use under 2GB per month. If you fall in this category, you can add a 2GB data plan for $30 per month and there would be no difference in your pricing. Check #2 here for your tiered data plan options http://bit.ly/P3ULwl.

Let me know if you need further assistance or clarification.

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes