PC will recognize my Galaxy SIII but not my wife's identical phone
chuckwilmot
Contributor - Level 1

Using Windows 7 Pro.  Both phones are running 4.1.2.  So far as I can see, both phones are set up the same way.  When I plug my phone into the USB port, my PC recognizes the phone and I am able to see all the files on the phone.  I frequently download photos in this manner.  When I plug my wife's identical phone into the same PC with the same cable, Windows says it doesn't recognize the device.

I have installed Kies and let it go through its troubleshooting.  All it wants to do is reinstall the device drivers, which I have done three times to no avail.

I've read through several forums and apparently it's a common problem, and the fixes seem to be to check debugging, install Airdroid, and one or two others.  My phone (which works) does not have debugging checked.  I cannot understand why one phone works and the other does not, but clearly it's not the fault of the PC or the cable.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: PC will recognize my Galaxy SIII but not my wife's identical phone
chuckwilmot
Contributor - Level 1

I decided I might as well go for the 4.3 update for my wife's phone, and it cured the problem.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

try another usb port. 4.1.2....you haven't done the ota download to 4.3?

0 Likes
chuckwilmot
Contributor - Level 1

Tried another port.  Same issue.  "Device not recognized".  Have not downloaded 4.3 on either phone because I have read owners having trouble after the update.

0 Likes
chuckwilmot
Contributor - Level 1

I decided I might as well go for the 4.3 update for my wife's phone, and it cured the problem.

0 Likes