No contact photo on incoming call since marshmallow upgrade
Onslow
Enthusiast - Level 1

Samsung Galaxy S5:

Since the rollout of the Marshmallow update a week or so ago I no longer get the photo of the contact on incoming calls. I do get the name and number but the image makes life so much easier.

Based on suggestions on several Android forums I've already tried rebooting into recovery mode and wiping the cache. No change.

Other suggestions on various forums have also not worked.

0 Likes
Re: No contact photo on incoming call since marshmallow upgrade
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's get to the bottom of this, Onslow. Have you attempted running the Software Repair Assistant? Please follow this link for more information: http://vz.to/1N6yVRy.

EstebanP_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Re: No contact photo on incoming call since marshmallow upgrade
Onslow
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes I ran the tool after it was suggested by VZW twitter support but I wish I hadn't.

Nowhere in the documentation or during the running of that tool does it tell you that "repair" means factory reset and the backup done by the tool is very incomplete.

Had I known that a factory reset was in my future I would have done my usual backup routine that involves 4-5 different backup programs each for specific purposes.

Since I did not know instead I got to spend several hours getting my phone back the way I wanted it which did not make me happy.

The original problem remains as I knew it would as it is not unique to my particular phone or even to a specific type of phone. Suggest you do a search of places like androidcentral where you will find others reporting the same problem.

Also, for the record, the work around being suggested - removing a contact photo and replacing it does work - but doesn't provide a solution since it is impossible to replace the photo on Google or Facebook contacts.

Very unhappy that I trusted VZW and the software tool - I should have done more research before running that stupid tool. It doesn't tell you what it is going to do and doesn't tell you what it found and supposedly "repaired". There appears to be no log feature and I have no idea what was downloaded and flashed to my phone during the process. Then to find out I've wasted all of that time and effort plus having to manually restore all my downloaded apps and re-do all sorts of settings really finished things off nicely. So aggravated right now.

0 Likes