No camera icon on the lock screen, and the setting is grayed out?
ZeissIkon
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got my S4 a few days ago, and I've been setting it up, finding my comfort zone with widgets and app icons and so forth.  I note that I'm supposed to be able to launch the camera app directly from the lock screen, but the option under Setting, My Device, Lock Screen, Lock Screen Widgets for "Favorite apps or Camera" is turned off and grayed out.  Is this option only available if I disable secure locking, i.e. allow anyone who picks up the phone to use any function without face recognition, PIN, pattern, or password?  Or is it disabled by some other setting I haven't found?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: No camera icon on the lock screen, and the setting is grayed out?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Congratulations on your new device, ZeissIkon! Glad to see you are figuring things out.
If you disable the lock pattern/code, you should be able to take a picture from the lock screen. By having the lock pattern/code enabled it is designed to prevent any actions on the device without being unlocked.
Can you give it a try to let me know how it works for you?

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Congratulations on your new device, ZeissIkon! Glad to see you are figuring things out.
If you disable the lock pattern/code, you should be able to take a picture from the lock screen. By having the lock pattern/code enabled it is designed to prevent any actions on the device without being unlocked.
Can you give it a try to let me know how it works for you?

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
ZeissIkon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Right, I found that.  Unfortunately, I can't readily switch back and forth between "no security" and "face unlock", because all my "improve face recognition" seems to be lost when I set any other security method; the phone returns to not recognizing me every time the light changes or I put on my hat or I wear my safety glasses at work.  Given I don't want just anyone who picks up my phone to be able to use all functions (i.e. spend my money on apps, burn up my data plan, etc.), I'll have to settle for being required to unlock before I can take a picture.

0 Likes