Newer Software Update Received Today. Not Nougat Update. So What Did It Do?
Rolfster
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have already received the VZW android nougat update, but today I received another update and the VZW site did not have any information on this update.  The only information it had was on the nougat update.  So this begs the question, what did this update provide for my phone?  Security update?  Something else?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Newer Software Update Received Today.  Not Nougat Update.  So What Did It Do?
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader
Re: Newer Software Update Received Today.  Not Nougat Update.  So What Did It Do?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you please post the version of the update?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: Newer Software Update Received Today. Not Nougat Update. So What Did It Do?
T0pherz

Mine says it was updated to:   G935VVRU4BQA4, updated today (3.27.17) which is weird because I got the Nougat 7.0 upgrade earlier this month.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader
tom85294
Enthusiast - Level 2

I loaded the Nougat update a few weeks ago without issue.   The phone would not restart after this update and tech support had to walk me through a factory reset.  I'll spend all day reloading apps and getting my settings back.  The android part of the update loaded in just a few minutes, but hung up on the Verizon screen attempting to restart following the update.

kincaed
Contributor - Level 2

Ouch. I had my concerns when things seemed to be taking too long but I waited it out and, thankfully, it finally booted fully. Messy when a minor update requires a factory reset. Smiley Sad

On an unrelated sidenote, I generally recommend people uninstall any antivirus software when updating if they happen to have any installed and then reinstall after the update has completed and everything is running normally. I've seen antivirus products from the likes of Kaspersky and ESET make Android updates very unpleasant.

tom85294
Enthusiast - Level 2

Good that yours finally completed the boot process.  Bad that Verizon gave an estimated time for the update of 15 minutes.  I was on the Verizon boot screen for well over that (over and above the time to download and apply the android update) before I got tech support involved.  I'm not sure what the phone was doing during the boot process - scanning apps for compatibility, perhaps?.  If so, Verizon should add a more indicative progress counter than the four dots.

Rolfster
Enthusiast - Level 3

tikibar1 . . .thanks for the hyperlink.  I tried searching for an article yesterday when I got the update and I did not see one.  It is what it is, but I do get annoyed when they say (in addition to the wifi  improvements) 'brings performance enhancements' and do not specify what those enhancements are.  I received the same message before I downloaded the update but took wifi enhancement and performance enhancements as extremely vague.  I was more put off by the fact that VZW had a link to the Nougat update as their link for this update.  Bad practice on my opinion.  Again thanks for the hyperlink!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Rolfster, I completely understand the importance of clarification when making changes and updates to your device. Where you able to complete the update successfully without any issues?  I am sorry for any inconveniences and will lift up this concern with your feedback.  CoreyM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Rolfster
Enthusiast - Level 3

The update installed just fine.  I noticed afterwards that certain apps that I previously granted permission to (bluetooth granting access to "my contacts") had to be "regranted".  I have other issues with the Nougat update, but I have inquired about that in another post.

0 Likes