New problem with Galaxy S10? (Hotspot.)
gregoryostrom
Enthusiast - Level 2

I picked up 2 brand new Galaxy S10+ phones Friday evening. We ported in from Sprint (so nice to be back with Verizon after 13 years of Sprint btw), but I picked up the phones from the local Verizon store, so these are not Sprint phones. The phones and service work flawlessly, except for the hotspot. When I try to turn the hotspot on I get an error that says "Mobile number not found."

I went through basic and tier two tech support and have tried everything, including a factory reset. Tier two tech support sent me to the Verizon store to pick up two new phones (both phones are having the same problem).

The store and 3 employees worked for over an hour trying everything including a new SIM card, but they were baffled and couldn't fix the problem. We were all skepticall that two phones would be bad like that at the same time. The manager even put my SIM card in his phone (it wasn't a Galaxy S10) to see if it had something to do with the new account / port. He had no problems turning on his hotspot with my account on his phone. They got a brand new S10+ out,  put my SIM card in it and no dice. They thought it might be the last software update, but the new phone hotspot wouldn't work before any updates were installed.

Has anybody else had this problem recently, or does anyone have any suggestions? Everything works perfectly other than the hotspot. 

Labels (1)
Re: New problem with Galaxy S10? (Hotspot.)
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

gregoryostrom, We're super excited about re-joining us! I'm truly sorry to learn that you've encountered such an issue with activating the Mobile Hotspot features on your new S10 devices. I sincerely appreciate your time in contacting our Tech Support teams over the phone and at our stores but regret that we were unable to resolve this for you. Do you recall if we were able to file a Support ticket for your concern? Also, can you please confirm the software versions that are currently loaded into both phones https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-222949/

TanishaS_VZW

0 Likes
RLHeather

Im having the same issue with my new Samsung J7V - Mobile number not found. Tried everything with tech support!

0 Likes
kaytay_2013

I just switched to Verizon from straight talk, after having issues with prepaid I decided to do post paid, thinking that it would make things easier, it didnt. Like you everything on my s10 plus works except the hotspot, mobile number not found, I spent a total of 15 hours in a Verizon store and way more hours than that with support and tech coach. This is sure not a good present for someone coming over from another carrier and even bringing their number. I am so close to going either back to straight talk or someone else. The reason I switched was for the hotspot. Yet, I am paying for a hotspot separately which is dumb but I don't have a choice. I hate getting the runaround too. Oh and at the Verizon store they put my sim into 2 other phones brand new s10 plus's and it's the same on all of them. 

0 Likes
laser123
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the exact same issue.  If you contact Verizon, refer to case number [removed] apparently they already know about it, but still their techs waste an hour of your time asking you to complete a cascade of resets when the problem is on the Verizon side.  

I just moved to a GS10+, and hotspot is a critical feature for me.    This is defective, and poor customer service for Verizon to be selling these phones without hotspot working.  

Anyone from Verizon want to share status on when this could be resolved?   Can you swap out our defective phones for phones with functioning hotspot feature?

Content removed per Verizon Wireless Community Terms of Service

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

laser123,

We appreciate you bringing this to the community's attention because this is indeed an issue that many customers have encountered. We perform troubleshooting steps in order to verify that there are no other solutions. In the event that troubleshooting does not yield positive results, we then proceed with filing a ticket under the reference number you mentioned. Every case may be unique and we want to treat them appropriately.

I want to provide the assurance that this concern is being monitored and our technicians are working to resolve it quickly. I hope this information helps.

ColinH_VZW

0 Likes
Hinks

Is there an update to this issue? We are having the exact same issue (just switch to verizon 2 days ago and the hotspot was a selling point for us due to the nature of our business). Very disappointed its not working on any of our 3 new s10e devices. 

0 Likes
gregoryostrom
Enthusiast - Level 2

I apologize for not responding sooner, evidently I'm not getting notifications when somebody responds to this post. 

I did get in touch with somebody in Verizon's tier 2 tech support that was able to find a note about this very problem. Evidently,  there's a known issue where some phones are not provisioning automatically like they're supposed to. The tech had to open a ticket for me and told me Verizon's IT department had to manually provision it. He stated it would likely take 3 to 4 days to complete, but it was done in 2. My hotspot works fine now. 

I had to Gerry kind of firm with their 1 tech support, as they first wanted me to factory reset my phone again. I told her it had already been done by me and a couple times in the store. She insisted that I do it again and I pretty much told her, unless she could give me a good reason to go through having to setup my phone all over again, I wasn't going to do it and if she insisted without a good reason I'd simply take the phones back within the 14 day reform window. I didn't have to reset my phone fortunately. I understand needing to try that step, but I also figured 3 factory resets was quite enough lol.  Good luck! 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to do everything we can to help! Did you recently receive a new device when switching to Verizon, or did you port your old device to Verizon? We're eager to hear back from you. MichelleH_VZW

0 Likes
sharonmc
Enthusiast - Level 1

New Galaxy s10 purchased from Verizon store. When I would click on hotspot I got the message that I needed to subscribe, but didn't give me any options to do so. Could not find a solution online. Reset data; checked wi-fi; checked that data was on - nothing worked.

Got through pretty quick to tier 1 verizon support at 800-922-0204. Casey worked with me and my phone for over an hour; she was very nice and tried her best. Then I was transfered to Tier 2 support. Had to wait a bit on hold, but after repeating my problem to John, he had me up and going within 10 minutes. He didn't/wouldn't say what he did to fix my issue, but I was just so happy to have it fixed that I didn't push it. Best of luck to all.