Nervous about switching phones. . . can I still access photos, voice mail, from old phone?
myphoneonthego
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,
I've had my first smart phone, Samsung 5, since Nov. 2014 and recently bought a Samsung 10, but it's just been sitting around, because I'm so nervous to switch everything over.  I'm worried that once I turn on my Samsung 10 and my service immediately begins on that phone (as I was told my the Verizon rep where I bought the phone), that I will no longer be able to access anything on the old phone.  I've backed up the phone, via Smart Switch, but still nervous, because there was an error backing up Contacts, Call Log, Clock, Home Screen.  I have an memory card which has the photos.  But I have some voice mail messages on the old phone from my mom, who has since passed, that I would love to keep, etc.
Any thoughts about what happens to what I have on my old phone, once I turn on my new phone and switch service to that one?  
Thank you!!

Claudia

Labels (1)
Re: Nervous about switching phones. . . can I still access photos, voice mail, from old phone?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

First and foremost, congrats on getting your new Samsung Galaxy S10 Smartphone! Transferring your backed-up/stored data (e.g., contacts, pictures, videos, music, etc.) from your old device to your new one is vitally important. We certainly don't want you to lose any of your stored data. We've noted that you've backed up stored data on your old phone by using Smart Switch. That's an excellent option to use to protect your stored data. However, we've noted your reference for viewing an error message notification during the backup process. To be sure we're on the right path to help you, have you used the Smart Switch option to back up stored data on your old phone, new phone, or both? What error message notification did you view? We've also noted your reference about saving your voicemail messages on your old phone (From your mother, who is now deceased). On behalf of our entire Verizon family, we offer our condolences to you and your family. We know how vital those voicemail messages are to you, and there is a fantastic option to help preserve them. Permanent copies of your voicemail messages can be made through CBW Productions, Inc. CBW Productions isn't a Verizon Wireless service. Before any voicemail messages can be copied, you must register with CBW Productions. To view more information about CBW Productions, please visit their website at http://spr.ly/6607Gl7XS. I'm confident that this information will be helpful to you. - RobertC_VZW

0 Likes
Re: Nervous about switching phones. . . can I still access photos, voice mail, from old phone?
myphoneonthego
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

Thank you so much for your response.  There wasn't an error message, per se, but Smart Switch showed which items were stored and which couldn't and the ones that couldn't were marked as "error".  Smart Switch did not go into detail as to WHY those items didn't transfer, so I don't more than what I first wrote.  I have not made the final switch to the new phone, because when I bought it at Verizon, I was told that as soon as I turned the phone on, the service would switch to that one.  I was very nervous about doing this without knowing if I would be able to get anything off the old phone, like photos, voice mails, etc, or if they would be gone or inaccessible for good.  Feel free to call me if anything what I'm saying doesn't make sense or isn't clear.  I want to switch to new phone, but I am afraid of massive metal doors clanking shut behind me with no recourse.  😉  Thanks again for your help, your guidance, and of course your condolences!  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate you working with us. What items could not be transferred? Did you back up via any alternate methods such as Google or Verizon Cloud? - AlbertoR_VZW 

0 Likes