NG6 Update is Very Unstable
DaGimp
Enthusiast - Level 2

After the forced NG6 update on my Galaxy S4, I've had nothing but issues. After unlocking my phone, my touchscreen will not work. I have to lock the phone and unlock it again before it will function. If that's not annoying enough, I have to suffer through random reboots. This has happened several times, even when I was actively on a phone call! UNACCEPTABLE!

Finally, I'm coming across apps that just stop working, including the pre-installed Amazon App and a QR Reader that I paid for.

Doing a factory reset on my phone is just as frustrating as it takes hours to restore my phone back to the way I have it setup. I don't have that much time to waste.

What is VZW doing to fix their latest screw up? I use this phone for work and I'm on call 24x7. To have my phone crippled by this obviously flawed and poorly tested update is unacceptable. What options are there to fix this cluster of a mess?

Re: NG6 Update is Very Unstable
pstreck1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Whoever designs and releases these updates needs to be fired and sent to Sierra Leone.  OK the 12 step program to turn on and off GPS/location services is really annoying and was obviously not thought through by anyone who has ever used the GPS while driving.

Short of actually hiring beta testers to release an acceptable product to your paying customers; at least let us roll back your crappy updates.  Your track record is abysmal!

My daughter's $40/month bring your own phone (without detrimental updates) cell plan is looking a lot better every day.

Madroxcide
Enthusiast - Level 1

. I got the ng6 update last night. Since then every 20 mins my phone decides to restart.  Took it to a vzw store, sorry but they are a bunch of morons there and didn't even know how to wipe my cache. Waited 20 mins to be told they don't know what the issue is. Unacceptable.  Someone fix my phone now before it ends up in the wall across the room.!

j_layyyne
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wipe the cache. Seems to be working well with my phone since I did it, direct advice from Samsung that they guaranteed would fix a lot if not all the problems

1. Reboot phone (take out battery and put back in) and turn the phone on while holding down volume up, home button and the power button.

2. Once recovery mode is active use the volume keys to wipe cache and select with the power button.

My phone works a hell of a lot better and it hasn't frozen when pushing buttons or on google play, or a random restart yet- keyboard is much more responsive now. But I did the wipe maybe 20min ago- you won't lose data, but I'd back up anyway

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

If the low-level cache wipe doesn't work, after backing up your important stuff, do an FDR.

0 Likes
lmb02
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, an FDR does nothing but waste hours of your time.  It will NOT resolve this issue, no matter what Verizon tells you (they are reading from a level 1 script and have no idea what they are talking about, as they proved repeatedly in this topic: Verizon NG6 Update: Multiple random reboots?

Verizon is still pushing this proven DEFECTIVE code onto its customer base, making the problem worse every day.  Why don't they stop pushing it and rollback?  Incompetence or not caring, take your pick.

DaGimp
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK. It's just getting worse. My phone is still constantly rebooting (15 times in 3 days, 4 times this morning). Now I'm finding even more apps are not working, including my AccuWeather App. If this update was supposed to fix connectivity problems, then why am I getting error messages from multiple apps telling me:

" An internal error occurred. This can be caused by a lack of network connectivity. Please make sure you have a good network connection."

It doesn't matter if I'm connected to my WIFI or if I'm using 4G.

Will there be a resolution any time soon? My contract is up in May, and if this kind of BS continues, I'll cancel my family plan and move on....

Darksidex
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the exact same problem!  I can't tell you how many times DURING a call it has rebooted.  Same issue too with needed to relock the keys to have any response.  This happened immediately after the NG6 patch.  Please help!!!!

lmb02
Enthusiast - Level 2

Darksidex,

Suggest you post to the topic that seems to be getting most of the action, Verizon NG6 Update: Multiple random reboots?

Verizon still won't help you (they just read the script that says do a factory reset, send it in for a few weeks of no phone, or claim you are the very first person to have this, so it's something you are doing wrong).

You can at least see that people OUTSIDE Verizon are trying to actually work out a solution, while Verizon stonewalls (as usual).

Mister_Grumpy
Enthusiast - Level 3

What people forget is that when these updates are tested by the manufacturer and Verizon, they are done so on phones that are loaded with stock software. Neither the manufacturer or Verizon has a clue as to what phone owners have installed on their devices after being purchased.  Oftentimes the performance issues are resolved by either uninstalling one or more 3rd party applications or by one of the many application updates that are pushed out to device owners.  Keeping your phone free of bloatware goes along way in keeping the device functioning as designed.