My voice key is gone and I NEED IT
amos5000
Enthusiast - Level 1

The voice key is a great assistive technology when typing is painful.

My voice key is GONE I've tried all the tricks but DO NOT WANT to do a full device reset, that's just silly.

I can get a voice key on a third party keyboard but that's buggy and frustrating to use.

If only the button that used to be there could somehow be restored????

Is there any way to get the voice key back without a full device reset so I can reduce pain?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: My voice key is gone and I NEED IT
amos5000
Enthusiast - Level 1

^^^That's the common solution but not mine.

The option on the keyboard in settings was gone.  No mic available in the Samsung keyboard settings anywhere either from inside the keyboard or accessing the samsung keyboard settings from the device settings 'Keyboard and input methods'.

I re-installed "google" and then the solution was found in the device settings:

Settings ->Keyboards and input methods->Default->SET UP INPUT METHODS

This hard to find 'SET UP INPUT METHODS' seems to be a list of all installed input methods and only the methods checked here are available in all the other menus you may be directed to for fixing this issue. 'Google voice typing' was an un-checked option on this menu and after checking it as an option you can now go to all the other Samsung keyboard menus and you'll fine the elusive mic button options again.

Hope it helps someone, I know I spent lots of time searching before I stumbled onto it. No idea how it broke in the first place.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Amos5000, I understand how important the voice key is on the device. I use mine all the time. Let's try to avoid doing a full factory reset if we can. I want to make sure that we get this back on your phone for you. If you open your keyboard in your text message application,  you should have a little gear icon to the left of the "Space Bar." If you press and hold on that Gear, you should have menu options to click on the Microphone icon. That should allow you to bring the voice key back to the main keyboard. Please keep us posted on the outcome.

KevinR_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
amos5000
Enthusiast - Level 1

^^^That's the common solution but not mine.

The option on the keyboard in settings was gone.  No mic available in the Samsung keyboard settings anywhere either from inside the keyboard or accessing the samsung keyboard settings from the device settings 'Keyboard and input methods'.

I re-installed "google" and then the solution was found in the device settings:

Settings ->Keyboards and input methods->Default->SET UP INPUT METHODS

This hard to find 'SET UP INPUT METHODS' seems to be a list of all installed input methods and only the methods checked here are available in all the other menus you may be directed to for fixing this issue. 'Google voice typing' was an un-checked option on this menu and after checking it as an option you can now go to all the other Samsung keyboard menus and you'll fine the elusive mic button options again.

Hope it helps someone, I know I spent lots of time searching before I stumbled onto it. No idea how it broke in the first place.

0 Likes