My s8+ won't let me receive group texts (mms).
MARTAU29
Enthusiast - Level 1

I can send and receive individual texts, but I cannot receive messages sent in a group text. It comes up as "download," and I don't even get a notification. Please help - people think I'm ignoring them! Otherwise, I love the phone!

0 Likes
Re: My s8+ won't let me receive group texts (mms).
desso
Enthusiast - Level 2

The same thing happened to me. I was using the Google Messages App.  Once I went to the Samsung Messages App I could send/receive group texts.  Give this a try if you haven't already.  GOOD LUCK.

0 Likes
NNECAM84

I am able to send/receive MMS messages when I'm on data, but it stops working over wifi, regardless of which app I'm using. I love the phone otherwise, but this is a pretty significant problem for me. 😕

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello NNECAMBA.

I'm sorry to learn that you are having an issue with picture messaging. I'm happy to help. Please keep in mind that some Wifi networks don't allow pictures, and have to use our network for that. Have  you tried sending pictures over a different Wifi connection? Did sending pictures ever work over Wifi?

ChristinaB_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
CSONJEOW

I'm having the same issue. Just received my S8+ yesterday. Group texts go into "download" status as if the person texting me did it direct and not in the group chat. Only when I wait a few minutes, click download on the message do they download and get sorted "into" the group text message (usually all out of chronological order).

I started with Google Messenger, then switched to Samsung Messenger. Even tried Verizon messenger+ but same results. Currently on wifi. Have not had the opportunity to experience this outside of a wifi network.

It's possible that this may be a problem when someone in the party attaches a photo, all the subsequent messages go into a download queue and never load unless I manually click them to load after a few minutes.

0 Likes
MCPFail
Enthusiast - Level 3

similar... upgraded from verizon note 4 which had no issues.  Now I keep missing group texts.  Error in notification pull down area says "Can't get MMS: timeout, tap to retry".  And tapping doesn't help.

Verizon enough of us with random issues... help.  sumtingwong!

0 Likes
Re: My s8+  won't let me receive group texts (mms).
CSONJEOW

Just a follow up. It seems to work when I'm on the lte network. Anytime I'm on a WiFi connection, I cannot receive group mms. I've tried 3 WiFi connections in different buildings to make sure it's it my home router settings or something random.

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

While connected to wifi is your mobile network data setting still enabled to access the MMS messages?

0 Likes
TAEPARK27
Enthusiast - Level 2

*solution*

This happend to me almost everytime I activated my phone the last 4 times (3 note 7, and thus galaxy s8).

I could not receive or send mms, which also applies to group message.

Calling Verizon with a phone other than your phone will take care of it.

Just call technical support and let them know. Fixed every time.

Checking for this everytime I activate a phone has become the first thing I do now. Did it 2days ago with my new s8. It will require for you to restarting the phone, so make sure to call them not with your affected phone.

First of all, change your default app to Samsung messages app, not the messaging+ app by verizon. That thing is so confusing, I do not like it.

And this time, tech asked me to go to the app manager and choose the messages app, Force Stop, and delete all the data first. Then he asked me to restart the phone, and mms started working.

i am almost certain tech did something on his end too, because I don't recall force stopping or anything on my end before. But before calling tech, you can try and see if it works by doing that.

Or simply call technical support Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Re: My s8+  won't let me receive group texts (mms).
NNECAM84

After factory resetting my phone, MMS now works over wifi, but only while using the default Samsung messaging app. I do not want to use this app, as it doesn't meet my needs. I have tried with Android Messages and Yaata SMS. MMS still doesn't work with either of those apps. 

0 Likes