My phone won't power up
HenryHH
Enthusiast - Level 3

I got a new S4 on Monday. Monday night and again last night I left it plugged in overnight. Today I have not made any calls. I did use the phone to send a few text messages but not anywhere near enough to use up the battery. Sometime between 11:30 and 1:30 the phone turned itself off and won't come back on. My charger is at home but it seems like something is wrong if I can't even go 12 hours between charging. Anything I can try before I can plug it in again this evening? I do have a charger for my old non-smart-phone here at the office with a micro-USB plug. Is it safe to plug that into the phone (5.0 V / 550mA output)?

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: My phone won't power up
AZSALUKI
Legend

you can try to take the battery out and put it back in. also, it's ok to use the other charger you have with you.

0 Likes
HenryHH
Enthusiast - Level 3

Removing and replacing the battery had no effect that I could tell. When I plug it into the adapter, it vibrates for a moment and a gray battery image with a circle on it appears on the screen for 20 to 25 seconds, then goes away. This vibrating and battery image appearing repeats every 25 to 30 seconds. Does this mean the battery is drained and is charging? Is I possible I got a bad battery?

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

it's possible. is the led light on that indicates that it is charging?

0 Likes
HenryHH
Enthusiast - Level 3

No, there is no red light. Just the battery image in the center of the screen.

AZSALUKI
Legend

seems like there should be a light on. you may have to take it back. i think you only have 3 days to do so though, and get a new replacement. after 3 days i "think" they charge a restocking fee of $35. i would go in tonight.

0 Likes
HenryHH
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'll do that. Thanks for your help. I'll report back here when I've been to the store.

HenryHH
Enthusiast - Level 3

Went to the Verizon store Wednesday afternoon. I had a 75 minute wait (the Rockville store is grossly understaffed), but once I was seen, it was quickly determined that the phone needed to be replaced. That went smoothly and I walked out with a new phone at no additional cost. I've had the new phone since then and it's working fine. I have another issue, but it's unrelated to this one and I'll start a separate thread.

Thanks for the support.

-- HHH