My Samsung Galaxy S4 battery overheated while charging & now the phone won't turn on
columbine8
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have owned my S4 since June 2013 and it has worked great.  Last night, I plugged it in to charge it.  This morning, it was very hot to the touch, not charged, and wouldn't turn-on.  I would get the beginnings of a phone turn-on, the Samsung graphic, the Verizon graphic, then, nothing.  I took the battery out of the phone for 30 minutes.  Let everything cool down, put it back together and plugged it in again.  This time the battery charging graphic showed up, but, after 45 minutes, it hadn't charged at all and it still wouldn't turn-on.  Now, when I plug it in, it won't even charge and STILL won't turn on.  The phone has not been dropped, exposed to water or sweat, and only normal use.  What are my options?  Yesterday, it was running just fine....what happened?

Re: My Samsung Galaxy S4 battery overheated while charging & now the phone won't turn on
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

columbine8,

I am sorry to hear of the issues you are having with your phone. We want you to always have a working device so we definitely want to find out what is going on. Do you notice the battery being inflated in anyway? Have you tried to use a different charger and charge while the phone is off? With the amount of problems you are having it may be best to visit a store to have it checked out directly. Your device is still under warranty, so as long as no damage shows you should be able to have a device sent right out to you. Locate nearest store here vzw.com/storelocator. Keep us updated on this situation.

Thank you,

TonyG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

Re: My Samsung Galaxy S4 battery overheated while charging & now the phone won't turn on
columbine8
Enthusiast - Level 3

I called Samsung directly and I have sent the phone to them to be repaired since it's under warranty.  There is no damage to the phone and the batttery wasn't 'inflated', if you mean larger than normal?  I don't have a different charger to try.  Samsung requested I send both the battery and charger to them, as well.  Hoping for a good outcome.....won't know until 7-8 business days go by...sigh 

Hazel_Eyes_4_U
Contributor - Level 2

Mine was getting hot too. I sent mine out and they fix it.  Hopefully it did the trick.  Mine was still in warranty so it was free of charge.

columbine8
Enthusiast - Level 3

thank you.  It's good to know it should be a good outcome.  Hoping your phone has been working ok since it was fixed.

MP81
Enthusiast - Level 2

Absolutely the identical issue happened to me with my five month old S4.    My phone is on its way to Plano Texas to the Samsung repair center as I write.   Both Verizon and Samsung deny there is an issue.   But my S4 worked flawlessly until I turned it on three days ago after charging with the Samsung charger and cable that came with the phone.   Dead.  Dead.  Dead.   Would not charge beyond 1% till the battery became very heated.   Before I shipped it off to their repair center, it would not even indicate the battery charge icon any longer.   The Samsung rep with whom I spoke after being transferred by Verizon said...and I quote..."I have never heard of this.   If we find it has been dropped or immersed in water, you will be charged for the repair."   Obviously they will not admit to an ever-widening problem with the S4.   It is all over the internet now after the 4.3 update.

Should they attempt to charge me even a penny, I'll pay the $350 and dump Verizon once and for all despite a year and a half remaining.   I cannot understand why neither Verizon nor Samsung won't just admit there's a major charging issue after the 4.3 download.

j22333

Mine died yesterday after 4 months of use.

0 Likes
MP81
Enthusiast - Level 2

j22333,

My S4 has been repaired and returned from the Samsung center in Texas.    The PBA (Printed Board Assembly), in other words the entire guts of the phone's processor, had to be replaced because it was burned out.    Despite my request for an explanation as to what caused the burn out, they refused to explain it.   Just a technician's coded response that the PBA had been replaced and bench tested for quality control was sent back with the unit.

Samsung and Verizon are tiptoeing around this issue but I am certain that the wider it spreads on the internet, the sooner they are going to have to admit the S4 is a huge problem.

Not even a word of apology from either outfit for all the hassle involved in setting up the phone again.    These companies suck.   

This is the absolute last contract I will ever sign with a cell phone operation.   No more.

0 Likes
columbine8
Enthusiast - Level 3

same for me.  Repaired free of charge (if you consider no phone for almost 2 weeks free) and just a generic explanation same as MP81.  It's been almost a month and it's working fine.  Yes it was a pain to have to set-up everything again.  I hope it continues to work ok.....

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi MP81,

I am sorry to hear about the problems you had with your phone! I am glad to see it is fixed. Keep us posted if we can help with anything else.

Thanks, BobbyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes