Re: Multiple problems with S4 post 4.3 upgrade
abean
Contributor - Level 1

Indeed; however that was somewhat the point to prove to VZW/Samsung that the update is the problem.

Yet, I just got off the phone with Samsung and this time around he is now stating that they've received more complaints primarily related to bluetooth/wifi, not the charging though. He had no indication of a maintenance release but seemed pretty confident that one was due out soon. He also stated he would check in with me periodically over the following weeks with any new information that came his way. He had recommended staying on 4.2.2 as well for the time being.

I was very surprised by this and am happy to see someone in customer service at Samsung trying to do what is in his power. Now if we can just get either side to publicly announce these known issues with their flagship phone and give us an ETA, I think we would all be much more happy.

As for staying on 4.2.2, doesn't VZW automatically push the updates? I remember getting the option; however I suppose we could just keep ignoring the notifications? That is under the assumption that they'll actually re-enable the update service as it would appear they've purposely shut it off for these phones because of customer complaints.

I still plan on calling VZW later tonight to get their side of the story to see if I can obtain any additional information.

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

I still get the notifications for updates but there is an install button that has to get pushed.  I'm just ignoring the whole thing.

0 Likes
PLBA
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also have the problem of "Choppy Bluetooth" since the update.  It almost sounds like the way cell phones were before digital.  Unless I place the phone on the radio head in the car the audio is unusable.  I also have the charger problem, with yes, my Verizon branded charger.  I also have the very "weak Wi-Fi" problem.  Can't get a good connection unless I stand on top of my FIOS Gigabyte N Router.  I am here at my desk, less than five feet away from the router and I only have 2 bars with a link speed of only 18Mbps.  Verizon, please help us.  A response with "we just don't have answers right now" would be better than "we want you to be a happy customer". At this point, it is starting to affect my business because I can't really make decent calls in the car.  We have done all of the usual stuff, pull the battery, etc..  I have not done a wipe. I was hoping there would be a patch before I was required to go back to ground zero.  I was on the phone with a Verizon Rep and she called Samsung with me on the line. Samsung's response was it wasn't their problem: go speak to Google. They also said if there was a patch coming out VZW would know before Samsung. Who would have thought.....?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello to you C5Vette!

I absolutely understand the importance of having a fully functional phone. I can't express enough how regretful I am that you're having so many difficulties after the update. I do appreciate all of the troubleshooting you've already completed to resolve them! I'm hoping that it resolved the majority of them.

After reviewing the known concerns, I actually did not see anything for the email notification concern. I would like to gather more details. What type of email account is this?

Additionally I reviewed your other concerns. At this time only Samsung chargers can charge the Galaxy S 4. Please utilize the charger that came with your device if possible.

Regarding Wifi we've been unable to duplicate the concern with multiple routers. Can you review your router and see if there's an update for it? What happens exactly with the Wifi connection when you try to detect or connect?

For your bluetooth, what happens exactly? I want to ensure we attempt the best steps to value your time.

Thanks!

MelissaM_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
abean
Contributor - Level 1

@MelissaM_VZW - are you officially stating that the Verizon Wireless stance is that no other chargers besides OEM Samsung chargers are supported? Where in the release notes for 4.3 does it state that no other chargers are supported?

Is VZW ready to refund/replace the chargers that they sold their customers? VZW sold us the officially branded Verizon Wireless car chargers which work on all phones and the S4 pre 4.3. If you're stating that they no longer work, I/we fully expect a refund or replacement ASAP.

Please advise to when we can all expect said refund/replacement.

Thank you

abean
Contributor - Level 1

Also, @MelissaM_VZW, please read the multiple other posts concerning all the Bluetooth and WiFi issues. These issues are not isolated to one or two users ... it's more wide spread.

We need an official response at this time to what the status of these matters are and when we can expect resolution. Please can you or someone else at VZW step up your game, take some initiative and go talk to the appropriate product support/development/QA/PM; whomever teams to understand what if anything is occurring at this time to help re-mediate all these problems?

None of us are happy with the level of support received thus far as no tangible or creditable posts have been made to instill any level of confidence in us that you're all trying to help us, the paying customers.

Thank you

0 Likes
abean
Contributor - Level 1

Spent some time chatting with VZW again tonight and got a little bit further this time.

- They are now confirming that there are known issues

- They are supposedly working with Samsung at this time as the issues belong to them and they have to fix

- They have indeed shut off all new updates on the S4

- Unknown to if it's confirmed that you have to use Samsung OEM chargers on 4.3

- No ETA as of now to when we can expect any sort of a fix

Well, at least if you get a refurb like we did, you should be able to hang out on 4.2.2 until they get this cluster figured out.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ha ha! My Samsung cable connected to a HTC transformer plug and a full HTC USB cable and plug say differently. The third party charger purchased at a Verizon Wireless corporate store also works just fine. The iGo car charger with a Samsung USB disputes the claim that it "shouldn't work" and yet it does. Even the older iGo charger and modular tips work with a Samsung Galaxy S4.

I have personally used three different chargers (mentioned earlier in this post) in the last 48 hours with a S4 and they all worked to charge the phone while it is powered on.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
C5Vette
Enthusiast - Level 3

Melissa,

First of all, I'm happy that you took the time to review my issues.   The email is with my Comcast email address.  I did not see this issue before the hard reset. 

As for the wifi issue....I assure you it isn't my router. ...it would have to be EVERY router....  There is simply NO range now anywhere PERIOD!  All other phones in my house see high signal strength and fast transfer speeds...EXCEPT the S4 post update.

This was a WONDWRFUL phone BEFORE the update. ...it is HORRIBLE now....  I've actually considered going back to my previous phone in light of all of this frustration.  A HORRIBLE thought for a $700 telephone....

My phone is a 32gb version and I can confirm not ALL have the issue as my friends 16gb version would actually receive a signal beyond 5 feet, but it for sure did not behave this way before the update, and I'm not the only one by far experiencing this issue.

C5Vette
Enthusiast - Level 3

Also, I must say that I would love for you to push the previous 4.2.2 software back out to these problem phones.....  Maybe it could be an optional update....

Another thing, because I'm forced to turn the wifi off because of the "unstable wifi" pop up and battery drain issue associated with having it on and NOT WORKING, my data usage has gone through the roof as I can't use wifi at home.  AM NOT HAPPY THAT I GOT A TEXT MESSAGE TELLING ME THAT MY DATA SPEED MAY BE REDUCED BECAUSE OF MY USAGE!!!  This update FORCED me to do this!