Re: Multiple problems with S4 post 4.3 upgrade
abean
Contributor - Level 1

Have been on the phone with VZW and Samsung for the past couple hours ... this is what I know so far:

- VZW can't do anything to help at this time as it's not their issue.

- Samsung knows of the issues, primarily that of the charging issues.

- They are actively gathering data on which chargers are not working anytime someone calls now.

- As of now, "ONLY" OEM car chargers are supported.

- There is no information that states this is how it is going to be moving forward. His notes and knowledge state that this is the only Samsung phone having these issues.

- Supposedly/Possibly/Maybe an update is coming out "in the future" to fix the car charging issues.

- VZW nor Samsung can not nor will not replace the phone with a new or different phone.

Also, I have now tested FIVE S4's, all of which are exhibiting similar behaviors based on my original post, with the primary culprit/test case being the car charging.

I'll reply back when/if I learn anything new; however as of now, obviously this doesn't help in the slightest with the exception of additional acknowledgement of at least one of the issues.

abean
Contributor - Level 1

Also, throughout this process what I have learned is this.

When you get a refurb phone, there must be some piece of software that is on it that blocks the update. Not sure why; however when attempting to update, it will error stating that the update service is not available. This happened on 3 out of 3 refurbs. As soon as I wiped them, they immediately downloaded update 1. After you apply update 1, it then asks if you want to download update 2. You have the ability to say "no thanks" which silences it for a couple days; however thereafter it will automatically download and nag you until you install it.

So, this is what I'm personally doing. I just ordered two more refurbs. Once I hook them up, I will leave them as is, no wipe and hope for the best that they won't attempt to update.

I have a hunch that they're aware of the issue and these phones have some hot fix on them that is preventing updates and post wipe, said fix is lost. At least this is my theory ... I'll report back near end of week to see what has happened.

0 Likes
dhp58
Enthusiast - Level 3

Abean, the options now or later is all I got with my refurb. But that may be because I did not wipe it when I got it. I thought about it and the more forums I read, the more I felt like either way I'm on a sinking ship with this update, so why bother? I have found that if I just touch the screen back hidden button at the bottom right, so far it has not self loaded, though every few minutes the update available message comes up. I am just hoping that I have the patience to wait it out. I am seriously done with Samsung, but as my husband points out, Samsung can't push anything through without permission since they don't own the lines. The carriers do. And they should be thoroughly testing anything they allow on their lines. So feigning ignorance won't fly. There's duplicity if nothing else. All I really want is the issue resolved so that I can get on with life.

0 Likes
jzamorski113
Enthusiast - Level 3

I finally was able to succumb to dealing with all the issues, and then Friday my phone completely died just like yours did. Only way anything came on the screen is if I attempted to boot it into recovery. I cleared the cache and that did nothing, and then factory reset, also to no avail.

Took it to Verizon store Friday night and they were shipping be out a new one "overnight" but because it was the weekend its not coming til today(Monday). Such a joke. I had to switch to my thunderbolt, which is dreadful. And I couldn't even switch it myself, I had to bring the phone back to Verizon Monday morning and the techs took about an hour to finally get it working. And they tell me I'll have to bring the replacement gs4 back into the store to get activated.

What an absolute joke. If this replacement phone downloads the 4.3 update on me, I'm definitely to unlock it and put some stable software on it, that seems to be the only course of action because getting a patch out will take Samsung and Verizon a month to "test". Send it to me, I'll test the thing way better than the QA department is. I imagine verizon qa is as follows: Receive software from Samsung. install to gs4. Ensure all bloatware is on the phone and working as intended(taking up space). If bloatware does not work, does a factory reset fix the problem? If yes, great. If no, do nothing and still push update out.

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

When you receive your phone it will probably be on 4.2.2. If it is those notices that come up about an update being available will start again. Just hit the back button and they go away.  A phone on 4.2.2 is far better peice of epuipment than a phone on 4.3 if it gives your nothing but headaches.

As for Verizion testing the update prior to releasing it, they do an exptreamly good job of it, otherwise it would not be released to the public if it had problems or didn't work.  They test the update on a new phone with only the software and apps that were installed by Samsung and Verizion. In other words it is a phone in the condition as as your received in on day one.  Everyone here on this forum that has problems with their phones probably installed the update on their phone that has  zillions of apps, launchers, games, tons of web mail and texts with attachements and unique personalizations that 4.3 was not tested against. Hence all the problems.

The best defense it to put your phone in factory condition with a reset prior to installing any major update. After the update do a factory reset again before doing any personalization of the phone.  There are those that will say I dont have time to do all that, I'llloose verything, I don't want to start over from scratch, never had to do that before.  Better to reset then having to use something and just agrivates you to no end.  As phone software gets more and more soficiated doing a factory reset will become a more and more a necessity.  I have yet to install 4.3 on my phone and won't do it for at least a month but when I do the factory reset is my first move after backing up.

Just my two cents.  Flame if you wish but I'm probably right.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good afternoon abean!

We would never ignore your concerns. I understand the importance of being able to charge your device with any compatible charger. My son has a Galaxy S4 and he also experienced similar issues after the software update, which were resolved by doing a factory (hard) reset. Please do a hard reset http://vz.to/1b59FYH and test.

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
jzamorski113
Enthusiast - Level 3

*Grabs popcorn for Abean's response*

jzamorski113
Enthusiast - Level 3

I know, I'm just be over-dramatic to make a point. I would love to know which app of mine makes my phone completely die though. The last thing I did was send a text message.

0 Likes
C5Vette
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm gonna have to disagree with you (KLUE) on this one.  Ordinarily, I'm pleased with updates.  This one.....NOT OK! 

I HAVE done a factory reset with ONLY the apps included with the phone....  MY WIFI AND BLUETOOTH STRENGTH IS AWFULLLLLL!   MY VERIZON PHONE CHARGER DOES NOT WORK ON IT! 

ONLY after I confirmed that it didn't work without ANY apps, did I put them back on.  I just lost two days of tweaking time doing the reset. 

They really need to get a patch out for this right away.....  I am trying not to order a CLNR phone for no good reason except to use it without this update.....

I keep hearing do a HARD RESET.  I have to tell you....it didn't help at all....  I also tried SAFE MODE per a suggestion on this forum....  it also yielded the exact same result.  My WIFI and BLUETOOTH have no range now.....PERIOD.....  THAT'S MY BIGGEST ISSUE.  I could live with the charger thing if I had to.....but I NEED WIFI AND BLUETOOTH connectivity.....

abean
Contributor - Level 1

@AntonioC_VZW - tell me you're joking right now? Did you really just tell me to attempt a reset after I've started numerous times I've done that as well as tested FIVE phones? Thank you for the scripted, non-helpful response.

So many things I'd love to say right now; however none of you will read them and actually provide a proper response.