Re: Multiple problems with S4 post 4.3 upgrade
Jazzmanjazz
Enthusiast - Level 2

2nd notice: This is not a router issue.  It is a phone issue.  These phones worked fine with our routers, and battery life was acceptable prior to the update to 4.3.  I will wait for the roll out, but may consider a complaint to the Attorney General's office if Samsung JellyBean update does not correct/solve the Wi-Fi connectivitiy issues.  From the standpoint of my purchase, the S4 phone no longer suits my needs, as with their aging routers, it essentially forces me to use Verizon's Wi-Fi, and disconnect from my corporate wi-fi, or go on airplane mode, or suspend 4G.  I can't control my company routers.  As it is a Fortune 50, I don't really have control over these routers, and it is silly for Verizon to deflect responsibility to the customer for what should be soved through functional software options. At the core, this is an autoconnect problem from the JellyBean 4.3 rollout that Verizon did not adequately test. In essence the update forces on the consumer Verizon's expensive LTE 4G over freely and **FREE** available wi-fi.  The CT Atty general and possibly, (as this crosses state lines, the US Attorney general's office will find the case worth pursuing if not resolved to the consumer's satisfaction.  Yes, take this to your boss...I'll write a letter, to them, but am willing to wait if this is about to be resolved.  Delete this letter, and I'll post it someplace else.  Fix it or else.

As others have noted, the S4 device constantly hunts then disconnects.  It's no longer waht we purchased to begin with. 

C5Vette
Enthusiast - Level 3

Please understand that this has ALL BEEN DONE!  If it isn't the phone.....  It isn't MY router......it's EVERY router!  The phone doesn't pick up ANY signal unless I can touch the router.  The Bluetooth also must be within around a foot or so.  This tells me that the software has significantly reduced the radio strength inside of the phone.  THE PROBLEM ISN'T THE OTHER DEVICES...... or at least SOMETHING would connect reliably...... 

(This is a reply to the VZW rep that asked me to reset, and check my router.....)

PLO
Enthusiast - Level 2

After the bug fix update I am still having issues with the chargers and also my contacts disappearing. I'm not surprised that Verizon's "fix" didn't fix a thing.

0 Likes
grandwazoo1

Immediately after downloading the 4.3 update a message appeared indicating that my two month-old 32GB Class 10 SD card was damaged. In addition, many of the screen icons were "ghosted" out and indicated the apps were not installed. I took the phone to the local Verizon store whereby I was told what I had already deduced for myself - that the SD card was actually damaged/corrupted. It could not even be read on a PC. So, I was left with the only choice and that was to try and reformat the SD card. However, before doing so, I contacted the Verizon Support's Live Chat. The representative was actually quite willing to assist me, but mentioned that he was not aware of this issue. Here's the best: He mentioned that he also had the same Samsung S4 and it became apparent during our discussion that he only then realized that his phone had suffered the exact same failure after the 4.3 update. The result is that at least now he was personally aware of the issue, but he really had no solution to offer yet. I reformatted the SD card and it seems fine, but I had every app that was transferrable moved onto that SD card, which all had to be reloaded. Very annoying and very time-consuming! I also had asked what might happen if I pulled the SD card the next time I downloaded and installed an update, but my question went unanswered. I might add, this is the second SD card that this S4 has chewed up. Between Samsung and Verizon, they need to get this nonsense figured out!

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

For the last half dozen updates I've installed on different phones, I have always removed the SD card prior to updating and it caused no problems. Everything on the card was still functional after the udpate. I also remove the card to do a factory reset.

kellyj71697
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the exact same issues!   We have used up all our data for Jan already because we cannot connect to WI-FI anywhere.(And we have 10MB)  I have done a couple of the recommendations from others such as disconnecting all play and caller ID, but nothing works.  I don't understand how Verizon can say this is not their issue when they are the company sending the bills.  And they can in no way say that I am the first to complain when this is all I am reading about. Why do I have to keep spending money? Why doesn't Verizon fix this? I left Sprint because of the issues I was having thinking Verizon would be better and now I regret it.

0 Likes
C5Vette
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, I owe this site an answer.  I have been SUPER frustrated with the lack of WiFi and Bluetooth strength since the update.  I couldn't take it anymore, so after the last update that didn't fix any problem except the charging issue, I decided that I had enough.  I called Verizon and since I didn't want a refurbished phone, they put me in touch with Samsung directly.  I sent my phone in (of course this means you have to have a phone you can use for a week or so while it's getting fixed)  Samsung provided a two day shipping label, and I sent it in.  They repaired it within 2 days, (they said they replaced a part and reflashed the phone)  I got it back and WAAAALAAAA!  It was back to being the phone I missed so much.  Even better really, because I like the predictive text of 4.3 better, I just didn't like the negative effects of the charger issue and WiFi/Bluetooth signal issue.

Now, I can't really believe that a part was bad, because of the timing with the update and others having the same issue, but whatever they did it worked.  By the way, the second I got it back in service, it updated AGAIN.....I don't think it was the same 4.3 update that ruined the phone, but the secondary update.  I figured if it's going to cause a problem, I wanted it to happen before I put all my settings back in it.

So.....I can say that this course of action WORKED. 

Good luck to all of you, I know how frustrating it can be, and I couldn't believe how much more data I used without the WiFi working!

0 Likes
who4ever
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm happy for you but let me add my name to the list of people who hate their Verizon Galaxy S4.  I don't know about the Bluetooth problem because I don't use one, but ever since the 4.3 update the phone doesn't connect to any WiFi system automatically, especially my home, office and the thousands of Optimum hotspots around Long Island and one of my car chargers that worked fine no longer works.  I don't think you people are being vocal enough.  Everyone is just sitting around like sheep.  I call Verizon and Samsung once a week and express my displeasure, and post in as many Verizon and Android forums I can about the uselessness of the machine and Verizon's support.  I post on Twitter and on Facebook all of the time.   Everyone who has been affected by this needs to keep calling Verizon and Samsung and post all over the internet telling people NOT TO BUY VERIZON'S GALAXY S4 UNTIL THEY ACKNOWLEDGE AND FIX THE ISSUE!!!!!

0 Likes
beachbum414
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had a Droid X until 4 days ago, when I finally upgraded, leaving behind my wonderful unlimited data plan and going to the 6 GB plan. I have LOVED my Samsung Galaxy S4. It does so many amazing things that my old droid didn't do. But the one thing I dislike is all the updates...Things started going screwy. I just noticed today that my video that I recorded & played back before the update now stretches the screen when I turn it...not sure about that...maybe I messed a setting up. but my biggest complaint so far is with my old droid x, I was able to hop on the wireless network at my work, no problem. That is one of the biggest reasons I upgraded; because I didn't need unlimited data anymore as I was using the Wi-Fi at work. I can connect fine at home, just can't connect at work. Why would this be a problem from phone to phone? I read online that Galaxy S4's have a problem connecting to some wireless modems, but the one here is a D-link and was purchased in the last year, I was told. When I try to connect, it says, "Obtaining IP address" and then scans for awhile and says "saved, secured" and then goes back to "Obtaining IP address" and then it says, "Failed to obtain IP". Then after I try again, all of the above happens and a pop up shows up that the "network is disabled because internet connection is too slow". I know that's not true, because my co-worker gets it on her I-phone & it was working great with my droid x. I've tried changing the security to a WPA/WPA2/FT PSK & trying that way, tried restarting my device, made sure I had all the updates (one blogger online said that is what fixed his) and still it is not working. I am stumped. I love this phone for the most part and really want to keep it, but I can't if I cannot connect to my work WIFI. It will be way too expensive to pay for the data I will need over 6 GB. Please help!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi who4ever,

We want your phone working the way you need it to. Regarding Wi-Fi, does this happen with all Wi-Fi networks? Have you tried a full reset of the phone?

Thanks,

ElizabethE_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes