Re: Multiple problems with S4 post 4.3 upgrade
C5Vette
Enthusiast - Level 3

Let me just say, that I've spoken with a VZW rep tonight.  He was very helpful, but did not have prior knowledge of the issues.  He took the time to explore and it seems that he also believes a new update will be coming.  The fact that another major carrier also halted the update for the exact same WIFI and Bluetooth issues I'm having also points to a future update.  I'm certain that Samsung wanted to get this update out before Christmas so many of us would run out and buy the Galaxy Gear watch....  Well, all I can say, is that I USED to love this phone.  I'm still holding out some hope that they will fix it and soon.  The VZW rep offered me a CLNR but I'm still holding out. 

I have to know that it's going to be fixed.  abean, I know you're frustrated, and trust me, I am too, but the VZW guys are doing what they can.  I'm sure they have corporate limitations as to what can be said and they are telling us to do what has fixed issues for SOME.  The hard reset for example.  I know that it DOES not work for me.  MY PROBLEM WILL ONLY BE FIXED WITH NEW SOFTWARE! 

Well, VZW.... Please work diligently to get us a patch...  If you know of something..... ACKNOWLEDGE that one is coming.  That would help us all quite a bit....  For now, on this forum, we're told to hard reset.... hard reset.... hard reset. 

We'd like to hear an acknowledgement of "ISSUES" and that something is being done.....

0 Likes
abean
Contributor - Level 1

Yeah, that's pretty much what I've heard from a few of them too ... that Samsung rushed it out in preparation for the Galaxy Gear, which makes sense.

Agreed, I'm with ya. I don't want to fully hold VZW at fault; however they do share some of the responsibility here and it just drives me insane that we're still watching VZW reps post to others on here "have you reset your phone?" I'm at a loss to why there is no official acknowledgement at this point when it's quite obvious that there are wide spread issues at hand here.

I just got done fully rebuilding my phone again. Using a cheapy screen protector for now and just all around irritated as I see bubbles in this crappy protector and the constant nagging of a software update. Oh whoa as me, first world problems ... b-o-o h-o-o Smiley Sad.

0 Likes
pinkfloydfan123
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm in the same boat.  I did the 4.3 update and I couldn't get my phone to even boot up.  After an hour on the phone with VZW I got pawned off to Samsung.  After an hour with Samsung they agreed to let me send my phone to them and they would re-flash my phone.  I did that and received my phone back.  I immediately got hounded to accept the 4.3 OTA update and ... like a dummy head ... I figured I would try it again.  Now my phone boots to 4.3 but my battery life is not as good as it was pre-4.3 (I get about 4 hours out of a charge now) and my VZW charger won't charge.  I have chargers that work ... but none of them are Samsung or Verizon chargers.

Then I called VZW again, was given the "do a hard reset" speech and ... like a loyal follower of VZW ... I performed a hard reset.  Now my battery life is worse, I still can't use the VZW charger and ... as an extra added bonus ... I have to be right on top of my WiFi router to get a signal.  Seriously?

Verizon gets a good sized chunk of change from me each month for multiple lines (> $300) and I've been a loyal VZW customer since the 90's.  I don't usually complain but dang ... enough is enough.

I know ... I'm griping .... but I wanted to throw my hat into the ring.

0 Likes
jzamorski113
Enthusiast - Level 3

You'd think they'd stop pushing the OTA.

I got my replacement and its awesome so far because it didn't update...yet. This notification is annoying and I know it will auto-install eventually. UGH

0 Likes
loveroftruth
Enthusiast - Level 3

From what I've read Samsung has had a lot of issues around the world with the 4.3 update. In fact they've pulled the update for some carriers till they can iron out the bugs. Now Samsung should have better testing on their software before rollout but eh, that's life. Maybe all manufacturers should have a developer program that let's registered users beta test updates before roll out

0 Likes
loveroftruth
Enthusiast - Level 3

Trust me. Verizon is where it's at for network quality. Each carrier has pluses and minuses. But verizon is the best. They need to improve on corporate store truthfulness and 611 truthfulness some but you won't like other carriers. This is from someone whose tried all

Emailed

0 Likes
Walpurgiss

Been having many of the same issues since the 4.3 OTA.

Including:

Music player randomly opening, both while unlocked, and while locked (So it's open when I unlock phone)

Screen timeout totally ignored; screen never turns off or auto locks.  Even with no apps running, and task manager fully cleared.

Really terrible WiFi reception

Some apps' notifications seem to not work

Battery drain (Possibly from screen never automatically turning off, if it turns on in my pocket or whatever?)

Bad call distortion

I haven't had any trouble charging in the car though.  So there's that silver lining I suppose.

Also an oddity; the vzw update program on PC continually downloads the 4.3 update.  For something that supposedly was disabled, it seems to really want 4.3 on my pc; even though my phone is running 4.3 already, updated through that selfsame program.

So much for disabling the update service.

Personally, I think VZW should just provide everyone with a borked S4 with the means to unlock the bootloader and flash back to 5.22 or whatever kind of ROM they want.  This software update wrecking the usability of this expensive phone, with such sluggish/ineffective/nonexistent support or recompense, is just plain ridiculous.  Technically bricked or not, If you get to lock me into a contract to subsidize the cost of the handset, I should be able to get some compensation when your nagging OTA breaks it. 

Just not cool.

0 Likes
mdxdx
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the same issues listed by the OP, as well as a security warning when connecting to wifi.  I have called Verizon a couple times about it, but I felt like I was talking to a wall.   The last time I called they put me through to Samsung, witch was a real waste of time.  They remote accessed my phone and said to clear the RAM every now and then, witch I do and this will fix all the issues.  They were about as much help as VZW tech support.  The resolution that Samsung came up with does not fix anything at all.  Still hve to charge the phone every 4 or 5 hrs, still getting a warning when connecting to wifi and so on.  Not sure how much longer I can put up with these problems. if a they don;t send a patch to fix the errors soon, I may have to move on from this device or even VZW.

0 Likes
C5Vette
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well I discovered a new issue on top of the poor WI-FI/Bluetooth Strength and my Email counter..... the Bluetooth icon in the notification bar that shows "connected"  (The little blocks on each side of the B)  shows that it's still connected long after it's NOT connected.  If you toggle Bluetooth off and then back on....it fixes the issue for that instance....but it was never like that before....

0 Likes
loveroftruth
Enthusiast - Level 3

Best I can say on this is hope 4.4 fixes it. 4.4 is starting to roll out to some variants of s4. Which means carriers here should start rolling it sometime middle next year

Sent from my iPad

0 Likes