Re: Multiple problems with S4 post 4.3 upgrade
abean
Contributor - Level 1

mv577 Let's get to the bottom of this, your efforts are greatly appreciated! We here at Verizon realize that charging your phone is important! Are you sure you know how to plug in your phone? Let's go ahead and reset your phone to factory settings! If that doesn't work, please go ahead and buy additional accessories that you did not need before this upgrade.

Bluetooth and Pandora are very important, my son uses these and I know how important they are. My son has these issues too and we were able to resolve by resetting the phone. Can you go ahead and perform something completely unrelated to the issue at hand so that I can act like I've done my job?

What, VZW patronizing responses, where!? haha, I'm so fed up with this whole ordeal ...

0 Likes
dhp58
Enthusiast - Level 3

Abean, did you really get an option to say "no thanks", or the option that says "later"? Mine says "install now" and "install later". I just hit the back or return at the bottom of the phone and it goes away until I go to another screen or do something different. I don't want to do the install, but this will become a pain if it does it all the time. Right now I haven't loaded anything up, but need to either do the update before I load it up, or keep hitting the later button and hope I don't become more aggravated than I already am.

>> Edited to comply with the <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
abean
Contributor - Level 1

- I think that's the first of the two updates, which should be ok. I honestly don't know what it is; however as stated ... after I got the refurb, I allowed it to install the first update which took about 15 minutes. The installer dropped into the native android black screen and performed some sort of an update. Now when I check for updates, that appears to be the official 4.3 upgrade that I have the ability to say "no thanks on". Check the screen shots below.

Untitled.png

From left to right. When I go to check for updates, that's my current landing screen. I hit check new and then it shows me there is an update. I hit no thanks, reports cancelled ... which can then be viewed on that opening landing screen showing user rejected. This tells me that it shouldn't ever try to auto install (at least I hope).

dhp58
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks abean. I will try this then, keeping my fingers crossed!

0 Likes
dhp58
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well I was going to do this first of two update as you suggested, however, there was a link provided for more info, and in fact that was the update for 4.3. I guess for the moment, I will keep hitting return, (since hitting "later" makes you set a time, and I don't want to risk an automatic update that I'm not prepared for. I may go ahead and do an factory reset as suggested in other threads, just in case it decides to upgrade on its own, which is what my husband thinks it will do. There is no screen on my device to say no thanks.

0 Likes
dhp58
Enthusiast - Level 3

LasinaH_VZW,: I do understand the purpose of software updates, and have lived through several with various other phones with no problems until this one. I find your comment patronizing, at best, and not the least helpful. I do have third party applications loaded on the phone, as has everyone I know that has a smartphone. It's one of the very reasons we buy smartphones. I have far fewer apps than others I know, and what is on my phone has survived several updates on several different models and makes of phones. I'm also not quite sure if You understood my post correctly, or perhaps I didn't understand you. When my phone died sometime in the period between the 3rd and 4th days, it died. Black screen never to do anything again. I called Verizon CS and was sent a replacement phone, albeit not overnighted as promised. He at least acknowledged there was a problem, and his own S4 had many of the same issues we are complaining about here on this forum. Since I had nothing but a black screen, and no way of telling if the phone was even off or on, so doing any kind of reset or anything with it was impossible. So I don't fully understand your comment about doing a soft reset on the device, since the phone that was killed by the update has been replaced, and I have yet to do the update on the replacement phone. So at the moment I am paying for a smart phone that is just a phone, since I don't want to waste a lot of time and effort on my part to set it up just as I want it and I have zero confidence in VZW or Samsung at the moment. How this fiasco is handled will make a big difference in what I do in the future.

0 Likes
abean
Contributor - Level 1

dhp58 - I fear that our rants are falling on def ears at this point. I've started a separate thread in attempts of calling out VZW requesting additional information at this time:

Verizon - We are requesting a status update on the Galaxy S4 4.3 upgrade issues.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

An OS update should only improve your performance mv577! I'm sorry to hear of the difficulties you have encountered. Please be aware third party, non Samsung branded chargers are not guaranteed to work. Did you retain all your apps during the update? There could be a conflict with the new OS. Please test the device in safe mode for a full day and advise us of the results. http://tiny.cc/9oql6w

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
abean
Contributor - Level 1

@JonathanK_VZW - Being that it's been called out several times and no one has responded, what about your customers that were sold an official Verizon charger? Is VZW ready to refund/replace if indeed you're making a statement that only Samsung chargers will work now?

Please do not ignore this question.     

abean
Contributor - Level 1

Well, this is awesome. Now the phone auto downloaded 4.3. It did give the option of now or later; however I don't want to have to always deal with this button. I attempted the upgrade and ... shocker, can't charge again!

VERIZON PLEASE HELP US!

I now have 5 phones at my house ... this is insane.     

0 Likes