Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15 Plus. Newphoria. Get it on us with select Unlimited plans. New line req'd. No trade-in req'd. Online only. Ends 3.31. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
Multiple Updates?
Somegirleigh
Enthusiast - Level 2

As of 5/8/18 my galaxy s6 has had one update per day. Im now on update #5. I've had this phone since Dec and it has never had an update until now. After each update I get a notification that the update was successful and the phone works likes normal. My phone has enough battery life or is plugged in and is connected to wifi each time it has updated. Has anyone else had this happen or do you know what I'm doing wrong?

0 Likes
Re: Multiple Updates?
jas0n
Enthusiast - Level 2

Nope, use to be one system update per month, then recently they skipped a month or more, I think the S6 line might be on quarterly updates now that it is an older model.

I would go to your system update and search the full release string, you can see if you are on the latest or what is going on as somewhere on Verizon's website they have a list of all the updates.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Ensuring that your Galaxy S6 has the latest updates is important, Somegirleigh. The details that you have provided are helpful. I understand your Galaxy S6 has been downloading several updates recently, can you verify the software version that is currently installed? https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00066416/. For your reference, the following resource provides the latest software version for your Galaxy S6: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/samsung-galaxy-s6-update/. Please keep us posted if the software version on your Galaxy S6 matches the most recent version available.

LorenzoP_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

The last time I updated my phone I turned off wifi and mobile data on my phone. It updated quicker than the other phone which is the same phone that only had wifi on.

Also I would try smart switch or kies. They are both from Samsung and they both will backup your phone but they also update your phone with the latest software from Verizon

You may want to try turning the phone off then press and hold

Volume up-power-home

then go down to clear cache partition using the volume down press power then use volume down again to say yes then press power again. Then just reboot the phone. This clears out all the old files and does not change any of your phone settings. This sometimes works for the problem you are having but if it doesn't I would try one of the programs from Samsung.

You can use this if it explains it better like VZW said but instead of factory reset just do the clear cache partition first like I said it will not change any setting you had on your phone.

Factory Data Reset (Powered Off) - Samsung Galaxy S 6 / S 6 edge | Verizon Wireless

Samsung Kies

Samsung Smart Switch

0 Likes
Somegirleigh
Enthusiast - Level 2

The updates are still happening, I'm on the 12th one. Now they are happening one right after the other. I still have one to update but haven't done it because it won't give me any info about it. There is no update # or a "learn more" link.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you sure these are system updates and not application updates?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Somegirleigh
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, the notification says:

"SYSTEM UPDATE READY TO INSTALL

The software update includes Android security updates for your Samsung Galaxy S6.

You will not be able to make or receive calls, including emergency calls, for about 12 min during the update. This update will restart your phone."

It used to give me the update/software version # but the last two times it didnt give me the option to even "learn more" about the specific update.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

The link previously provided will let you also see the version numbers for the previous two updates. You can find the instructions to see which update you have mostr recently installed here:  https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-152216/ .

0 Likes