Re: Mobile Hotspot fails at "checking subscription status"
joealexander
Enthusiast - Level 3

Theunclebob -

@#&*@#*! I did not know that. I've spoken, chatted or messaged with a half dozen or more support reps and not one ever mentioned this! You are correct. According to the link you provided (thank you!) any Samsung older than an S7 will not work when this is done! When in blazes were they going to tell us?!?!

Arrrrrgh!

0 Likes
joealexander
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok, this was finally verified by a VZW rep. Any 4G/CDMA phone (includes my S4) has reached EOL, although we have not been formally notified. I have an additional question in concerning what other features will begin failing soon. I'll post the answer if I get one.

0 Likes
Theunclebob
Enthusiast - Level 3

The rep I spoke with said that features would start dropping through the year as they continue to decomission the first gen 4G spectrum.

I seriously cannot believe they just flipped the switch with zero notification to us users.  Like a phone call or something.

0 Likes
joealexander
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wow. I went with VZW a long time ago because the network was unquestionably the best for someone who travelled the country, sometimes to pretty remote places. I'm retired and don't travel like that anymore. I may start shopping around. 

0 Likes
Theunclebob
Enthusiast - Level 3

I mean, I get it, my phone is seven years old at this point. I am just aghast at how this was handled. No notification, the rug was yanked out from under us, and when we called for answers, even the tech support folks had no idea this was happening (which is why I am still holding out hope it's a mistake and it'll get fixed soon, even if our phones will be 100% dead by the end of the year.

I am looking into a replacement phone, but it looks like a 10-12 week lead time due to the global pandemic - which, I hate to play that card, but seems like a terrible time to leave users stranded with zero notice. 😞

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello there, Theunclebob! We are concerned your device is not working as expected. We can go through some troubleshooting steps and get your phone working again. When did this start?

0 Likes
Theunclebob
Enthusiast - Level 3

@joealexanderMaybe good news?  Spoke with Tier 2 support again today and we went over everything - and she came back from a long hold and said this is a known issue and isn't related to the CDMA shutdown!  We're still out of luck by the end of the year, but our hotspot should still be working.

@vzw_customer_supportIf you read through the entire thread, you should have most your questions answered.  Started for me on the 11th at the latest, likely the 10th.  I've tried two different Samsung Stratosphere 2s and a Samsung Stratosphere 1.  I have an open ticket with Tech Support 003944571

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

joealexander, we have sent you a Private Note, so we can further investigate. 

DavidC_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Theunclebob, I can definitely understand your concerns. Information about our CDMA retirement is here: https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-218813/ Since you have a pending ticket, please let us know if you have any additional inquiries upon ticket completion. We'll be standing by.

0 Likes
joealexander
Enthusiast - Level 3

Never received the "Private note". I have received two emails asking if my problem was solved - of course, it was not. My mobile hotspot still does not work.

0 Likes