Re: Mobile Hotspot fails at "checking subscription status"
joealexander
Enthusiast - Level 3

Not on any "grandfathered" plan. On the "Do More Unlimited" plan.

0 Likes
Theunclebob
Enthusiast - Level 3

Dang.  I was hoping we could isolate the issue that way.

It looks like all of us started having this issue at the same time - I've tried two different devices with my account and neither would work.  It's for sure something on VZW's end.  We just get to wait for them to come up with a solution.  I really hope they have people working on weekends - it's gonna hurt to not have my hot spot over the weekend.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can see how that's been a big issue today, joealexander. We'll be sending you a Private Message to better discuss the issue with you. ZakC_VZW

0 Likes
Kb3drf

I’m having trouble with my Droid too, I reset hoping to fix it only making matters worse. Know I get get Voicemail, No. Mobile Hotspot, and I can’t update the IOS under system because it won’t connect to server. I’m not buying new phone, If they can’t this working ASAP, I’m done with Verizon. I’m paying 100 bucks a month, I don’t text, I make about ten calls a year. Hotspot an hour every morning so I can use my IPad. So there making out on me. Paying for 6 gigs, use about 2 a month..there loss. They sold me this phone, 700 bucks support man.

0 Likes
joealexander
Enthusiast - Level 3

Zak - I already answered your question. See above. My current plan is "Do More Unlimited"

0 Likes
EdSled
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also tried to open MyVerizon which pops up a screen stating my version (13.5.0) needs updating to keep me safe with the latest security standards.  Upon pressing the "Update" prompt and selecting Play Store it shows that the updated VZ app isn't compatible with this device and to contact the developer for more info.

Since many of the Verizon apps are interconnected for various functions, I am wondering if the Hotspot authentication is provided in the background through the MyVerizon app?  Then this last Wednesday, something was changed that would no longer accept authentication from a phone with less than the new authentication version? It seems that different brands of phones are having the same problem while running Android 4.x.x which may not include the new authentication method.

Irregardless of what is causing the issue,  if Verizon decides to sunset the Android 4.x.x level within their own apps, they should be obligated to notify customers well in advance (1yr+) of that proposed action. (Just like Microsoft XP, Win7, etc)  That gives customers time to decide if they want to look at other options, other vendors, and not get locked into any new phone purchases.

I am concerned that in my two conversations with VZ support, I was told that the "solution" was to purchase a new phone.  How many customers are having this same issue and are being told the same thing?  How many customers are accepting this answer and dropping a lot of coin without question?

Theunclebob
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had a lengthy conversation with a really nice VZW rep this morning and what we're thinking is it has to do with some bands of the 3G/4G shared spectrum that VZW is disabling through the year.  Particularly on my phone, she stated that by the end of the year, it will no longer work at all if everything goes to plan.  Which terrible, because no one makes a decent phone with a keyboard anymore.

I'm waiting for a definitive answer though... but I might be looking at a forced upgrade. 😞

0 Likes
joealexander
Enthusiast - Level 3

Surely VZW is not doing away with 4G LTE anytime soon, and your Strato 2 can use 4G LTE. I don't see how that could be the problem, since my data connection still works fine. Even tho the rep was very nice, sounds like another garbage answer to me. Just my 2 cents worth.

0 Likes
joealexander
Enthusiast - Level 3

(I didn't say "garbage"!) 🙂

0 Likes
Theunclebob
Enthusiast - Level 3

https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-218813/

I believe this is what the rep was telling me about.  Devices that are not 4G compatible or are only compatible with the first wave of the 4G rollout (using the first 4G band only) will be affected.  Mine being a 2012 device would seem to fit with that timeline.  But I am not an expert on this.  Either way, a head's up would have been nice.

0 Likes