Messaging Plus taking up a lot of storage space
DARGUS8
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi! I use the messaging plus app on my Samsung S6. Despite deleting hundreds, maybe even thousands!! of texts and photos, the amount of storage space continues to rise. I am already very limited on space on this phone - can anyone help me figure out how to lessen the storage that this app uses?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Messaging Plus taking up a lot of storage space
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

I deleted the cache and the data on this app then disabled it. This app has a lot of advertising and other things in this app that takes up a lot of room. I just needed a messaging app to communicate with people. I don't need all that other stuff with them.I use the other app that came with my phone but now that it updated to Oreo ( S7 edge ) it has a lot of that stuff that is in the message+ app.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

I deleted the cache and the data on this app then disabled it. This app has a lot of advertising and other things in this app that takes up a lot of room. I just needed a messaging app to communicate with people. I don't need all that other stuff with them.I use the other app that came with my phone but now that it updated to Oreo ( S7 edge ) it has a lot of that stuff that is in the message+ app.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DARGUS8,

kathy65793 gives a great tip. Clearing the data cache is a great way to free up clutter from your device without losing anything you truly valued. You can find instructions for this here: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-150932/

Your text messages themselves occupy very little space on the device, so it would be large files that you have sent and received in the application that are taking up the most space. Have you been able to back these items up to Cloud storage? This can also help free up space.

Is this information helpful?

Colin_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
DARGUS8
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks - I do clear the cache, daily -

Still, I have almost 2GB of data in the messaging app, despite deleting many text messages and most all of the pictures shared via text.

I'm scared to hit the 'clear data' vs the clear cache, for fear it will delete all my contacts or the few text threads I want to keep.

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

I think you might be right about that if you clear the data it will make the app like you just started the phone up. I know before the last update I enable that app and it took awhile for it to load. I think it was getting updated thru my phone like my contacts and seeing what other messaging app I had on the phone and just transfer it all to the messages+ app. I just don't need all that stuff on my messaging app.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DARGUS8,

Thank you for the details. Let's dive deeper into this issue. Have you viewed your storage in your device settings? If not here's how http://spr.ly/6585DmPVh Let's see what needs to be removed to free up some storage space. 

Juan_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
DARGUS8
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, Juan_VZW. Yes, I am very familiar with the storage. I constantly have to delete apps to allow room for new ones (ie: a hotel app has to go if we aren't currently traveling and staying there, to make room for a new one that we might be using.)

I inadvertently deleted the APP DATA instead of the APP cache. I could have cried while I was waiting for it to do it's thing, and I had to sign back in again.

Much to my surprise, my contacts and messages were still there, but the 1.5 GB of data were wiped out.

I now have almost 2 free GB of space I hardly know what to do with it all!