Memory card issue with update
crs17

Last night i updated my S4 through the phone itself and after it was done it said that i had a blank sd card (ive had one in since i got the phone) and asked to format it and i selected yes. After a few seconds it would start to format and then go back to saying a blank memory card was inserted. I went into the settings and tried to mount the card but it was doing the same thing. I even tried formatting it in my computer and that wasnt even recognizing it...so i was wondering if this happened to anyone else and why did this update corrupt my memory card?

0 Likes
Re: Memory card issue with update
Klue
Master - Level 1

Couldn't tell you if the update trashed the card or not, but if the card is not recognized by other devices it is probabley corrupted.  Install a new card in the phone following proceedures in the owners manual.  It is wise to remove the memory card from the phone prior to upgrading the operating system software

0 Likes
Allyman
Enthusiast - Level 2

There is serious known issue with the Samsung Galaxy S3, S4 and Note II.  I had a Kingston 16GB Class 10 in my S2 for 2 years.  Then I got a couple of S4's and installed the same micro SDHC card in the new phones  Within 2 weeks, the phone fried the memory card.  I spoke with Kingston and they've had tons of returned cards from these Samsung devices.  They'll replace the card, but everything on it is gone.  It is not recognized in the phone and I'm told to keep inserting a card when it's already in.  I removed it and re-installed it...same results.  I tried the card in 3 other phones and my computer and it's not recognized.  I might as well be inserting a piece of cardboard in the slot.  I tried 3 other memory cards in my phone and initially they all work.

I checked on www.androidcentral.com and there are a slew of forums / threads with the identical issue.  I Googled it and was shocked to see how may other sites have forums regarding this.  Sandisk, PNY, Corsair, Kingston and even Samsung micro SDHC cards get cooked.  Either you get messages saying the card keeps un-mounting or you'll get a message that there is no card installed.  I HIGHLY suggest you religiously back up your phone to a computer or 3rd party cloud back up.

I called Samsung tech support and the tech was aware of this and confessed that it happened with his S3 and Sandisk card last year.  They've know about it for a while and haven't done anything about it.  I certainly hope Samsung gets this fixed or they'll wind up in a class action law suit from all the memory manufacturers.

0 Likes
oswright71

I have been having the same issue with my S4. I have a PNY micro DS card, what is the solution for this. Is there a better SD card that we can use or just have to be stuck with 16g. Getting very frustraited with this.......

0 Likes