Marshmallow, the Play Store, WiFi and the Galaxy S6ness of it all
DezmoMedia
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since the Marshmallow update last week, neither my Galaxy S6 or S6 EdgePlus will download updates or apps from Google Play over WiFi. Mobile Data works fine. I have taken all the steps outlined by Google and Verizon to solve this, including:

Resetting my phone.

Checking my router for the latest firmware

Removing my Gmail account from my phone.

Removing Google Play, all its updates, and clearing the cache for Google Play, Download Manager and Play Services.

Reset network settings on the phone.

Samsung apps from Samsung's app store will not download via WiFi either. I have tried both 2.4  and 5.0 GHz connections. All other devices on this network are working properly. If I turn off WiFi and use mobile data, all will download. Play Store is still in the original factory build, and will not update to the latest version via WiFi. I have also called Google and was told that I would have to wait until enough people complain so the engineers can fix this issue. So, I am trying this. All the steps listed above also included router reboots, phone restarts, phone shutdowns, and cache clearing. I have done everything except reset my phone to Factory Settings, and I refuse to believe that is going to fix this, and I would rather not spend even more time trying to fix something that clearly needs to be fixed in this update.

0 Likes
Re: Marshmallow, the Play Store, WiFi and the Galaxy S6ness of it all
pherson
Champion - Level 1

A factory reset is always recommended after a major update. Customer service will walk you through that and Samsung will do the same, regardless if you think it won't help.

0 Likes
DezmoMedia
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, now I have done a factory reset, and guess what? It didn't work. And to download my apps, I have to use mobile data. Yay! This is, as I said, a Marshmallow issue, and we need a patch. Sooner rather than later.

pherson
Champion - Level 1

TThen contact Samsung.

0 Likes
ReggieW
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the exact same issue...very frustrating. It is definitely a Marshmallow issue. My phone was working great until 4/6/2016 when the update was installed. Now Pandora doesn't work via wi-fi, it works well over 4g data. Please fix this!!!

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

IT is a Samsung google issue not verizon contact them.

0 Likes
ReggieW
Enthusiast - Level 1

I purchased my phone from Verizon, not Samsung. I would expect Verizon to work this issue out with their supplier and not have their customers contact Verizon's supplier. smh...

pherson
Champion - Level 1

Verizon is a cellular provider. Samsung made the phone and it's googles software. Regardless of how you feel you need to contact the two, samsung and Google. [removal required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service]

0 Likes
DezmoMedia
Enthusiast - Level 2

Don't waste your time with Samsung. They told me to go to Best Buy or send in the phone to them. Neither is acceptable. This is not a phone problem, it is a Marshmallow problem. I did call Verizon and was quickly switched to a real geek and not someone who can only read the troubleshooting steps I have already taken. According to this person, Verizon will contact Samsung and get them to fix this via an update. In the meantime, there is a fix, but it is a pain. You can switch to a different device, and once your number is active on that device and inactive on your S6 or S6 Edge Plus. you can then download via WiFi from the Google Play Store. Then, you have to switch back service to your S6 or S6 Edge Plus. You can only do this once per device via Verizon's website every 30 days, so you would have to call Verizon and have them make the switch for you after you do it once. Clearly, this is really not acceptable, but it does work. And if, like me, you factory reset your phone, you don't want to use up all your mobile data re-downloading all your apps, you can switch devices, download everything you want via WiFi, and then switch it back. The guy I talked to at Verizon tells me he is sharing this with his tech group and his supervisor, and hopefully a fix will be forthcoming. I didn't try it, but it is possible taking the SIM card out of your phone would accomplish the same thing. However, both my phones have cases which are not easy to remove, and so I did not do this. At the very least, Verizon is now aware of this issue, and I hope they get a fix out sooner rather than later.

0 Likes
Michlo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Likewise.

I've gone over my data limit now thanks to the FOUR factory resets, two of my own accord during initial troubleshooting, one at Verizon's behest and one at Samsung's.

Bloody ridiculous.

Also, these are all the steps I went through (not in order):

Airplane mode on and off

Bluetooth off

Data partition cache wipe

Reset Network settings x2

Factory resets x3 (one from the software, one from the ROM and the final, at Verizon's suggestion with all restore options toggled off)

Installed latest version of Google Play Store manually

Restrict background data checked

Restrict network data checked

Dropped network connections and reapplied

Cleared data cache for Play Store

Cleared data cache for Google Framework

I can't believe this still hasn't been patched.

Oh and for those saying contact Samsung, well I did, AND Google Play Store Help Desk.  Guess where they both sent me?  VERIZON!

Cheers.