Re: MMS stopped working over Wi-Fi.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JayD2017, not being able to properly send picture/video messages should never be a concern, even if connected to Wi-Fi. I'll be glad to help address this issue so your phone is working as it normally should. Do you have this problem when connected to Wi-Fi, mobile network only or both? Are you using Verizon Messages or the standard Messages app? 

You may also reference our Online Troubleshooting Assistant for additional self-serve troubleshooting steps that you can take. We look forward to hearing from you soon. http://spr.ly/6588D4t56

AlanS_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
duden5714

I have the exact problem as the original poster. I live in a rural area and only have 1× network signal at home. My wife and I used to be able to send and recieve mms over wifi as long as there was a network connection to the edge network. After buying and using our s9 and s9+ it worked until around April of 2018. Then out of nowhere we can't. Mobile data is on, Wifi is connected but it will not send or recieve mms unless we use some 3rd party app and number like google hangouts. Extremely frustrating.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

duden5714,

I completely understand the desire to use the messaging app of your choice, and I'd like to collect a few details so that we can determine a root cause for this issue.

At the start, were you using the stock app for the S9 models, or Verizon Messages? How long did you have the new phones when this change occurred, and had there been any recent software updates at the time, such as to the app or the phone itself?

Colin_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
jmcook797
Enthusiast - Level 2

The only solution that works for me thus far is just using the Verizon Messages app. It has Wi-Fi built in so it works regardless of Wi-Fi calling being turned on or off. Once you customize it and get used to it it's actually pretty good. Once you install it you just have to make sure you go to the menu on the upper left and then select activate account. Once it's done it's thing all your messages will be sent through the Verizon server.

Also it's really strange because if I put my friend's iPhone in airplane mode it works flawlessly through Wi-Fi calling and iMessage however if I just turn mobile data off or leave everything on it won't work. . Just not on my Samsung.

0 Likes
jmcook797
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm now updated to Android Pie / One UI and the problem is gone.

0 Likes