MMS on WiFi will not work, requires Mobil Data Plan on
MoneyBags007

It appears as if the Samsung S4 will not complete a send or receive of an MMS while attached to wi-fi; this requires mobile data be active and consumer data usage in order to work.  If this is correct, it seems that this is a network as well as software requirement intended to increase data consumption (cost $$$).  This is also a true statement reguardless of any extended MMS program to which you may currently subscribe.   I have attempted to get Verizonwireless to respond, but their customer service department seems to be overloaded.

Again, if the above is true, this makes new and expanding SPRINT and AT&T alternatives more attractive.

0 Likes
Re: MMS on WiFi will not work, requires Mobil Data Plan on
Klue
Master - Level 1

You are quite right MoneyBags, data has to be turned on but the upside to this is that Wifi does not have to be turned off to use MMS.  That little issued must have been corrected in the latest update.  What I do not know, does MMS get transmitted over wifi if it is on or over the Verizion network if both are on, eithwise data has to be on for MMS to work.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

MoneyBags007 wrote:

It appears as if the Samsung S4 will not complete a send or receive of an MMS while attached to wi-fi; this requires mobile data be active and consumer data usage in order to work. 

This is true of any phone; picture messages will not send/receive over wi-fi, they have to go over a Verizon data connection.  They count against your text package, not your data package.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi MoneyBags007,

Picture memories are important! I know its important to be able to manage your account usage properly.  Let's get this resolved. Picture messages are not sent over the Wi-fi network.  You are correct, picture messages are sent over the Verizon Wireless Network. Hope this helps.

Have a great day!
Pamela_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes