Losing network connection (phone, text, data)
rjf17ca
Enthusiast - Level 2

For the past couple of weeks I have had problems losing my network connection affecting phone calls, text messages and data access. The problems seem to be occurring more frequently, and have not been able to identify a consistent pattern yet.

Phone: On 2-3 occasions recently, I have had calls dropped.  I see that I have no [phone] network connection.  In each case I've been in a location where I frequently make calls.  Twice this was while on a major freeway in the SF Bay Area.  In each case I do get a signal back, but it takes several minutes until I re-acquire a signal.

Text:  On multiple occasions (3-4 in the past week), I have tried to send text messages from my office (in San Jose), where I have not had problems in the past.  After waiting for several minutes to re-acquire a signal, I re-booted my phone and my text messages were sent as soon as the phone re-booted.  Note:  changing the phone to airplane mode and then off, did not resolve the problem.

Data:  On multiple occasions (8-10 times in the past couple of weeks), I noticed that my phone shows "4G", but no arrows and I have no data access (i.e. no access via web browser, can't use any email apps, can't use any apps that use data access).  Once I lose the data connection, it never re-acquires the network even after moving and/or waiting in excess of an hour.  The only way to re-acquire data is to re-boot my phone.

This seem to have started 2-3 weeks ago, but definitely getting worse over the past week - very, very frustrating!

Using Samsung S4, running Android 4.4.2.  I don't recall installing any new apps or new O/S versions in the past couple of weeks, though many updates auto-installed.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Losing network connection (phone, text, data)
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Oh boy! Thanks for the information. This is an odd one. My next recommendation (since you already have a replacement device) is to try a brand new SIM card which can be picked up for free at any corporate location http://bit.ly/3SdsA.
I can also ship one to you if that works better.

Do the calls "hang" when you are in different locations?

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I want to ensure your device is running in top form! May I ask what zip code you're located in? Have you been able to test the device in Safe Mode since the issue began 2-3 weeks ago? http://vz.to/1vrNbkf

YosefT_VZW

0 Likes
rjf17ca
Enthusiast - Level 2

Over the past couple of days I tried using my phone in safe mode and still have the same problem. After some period of time (1-4 hours), I loose connectivity to the Verizon network. Even after I re-acquire the network (2-4 bars showing on my phone), if I try to make a call my phone it does not go through. If I hit the “end call” button the phone hangs. The only thing I can do is power down or restart the phone.

Richard Freedman

0 Likes
rjf17ca
Enthusiast - Level 2

Zip code: 94061

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Rjf17ca,

Thanks for the information. Lets give this a try. Remove the sim card and let it sit out for about 30 seconds. After 30 seconds try reinserting the sim card. Please advise if this works.

StevenR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes
rjf17ca
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried removing/replace the Sim card. Still have the problem.

I got really frustrated with this and after spending over an hour on the phone with technical support and then with Assurion, I got them to replace my phone, with a replacement S4. Spent another couple of hours getting my phone reconfigured, including having to spend another half an hour on the phone with technical support because the new phone wasn’t activating on the network. And, still have the same problem on two consecutive days where the phone hangs when I try to make a call at the end of the day. (Though I had been able to make a couple of calls during the day).

So:

· It fails in safe mode

· It fails if I set the network to LTE/CDMA rather than Global

· It fails after re-seating the Sim card

· It fails with a replacement device

What’s going on? How do I fix this?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Oh boy! Thanks for the information. This is an odd one. My next recommendation (since you already have a replacement device) is to try a brand new SIM card which can be picked up for free at any corporate location http://bit.ly/3SdsA.
I can also ship one to you if that works better.

Do the calls "hang" when you are in different locations?

TamaraH_VZW

0 Likes
rjf17ca
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got a replacement SIM card and my phone seems to be working OK now.  I've gone a couple of days without it hanging. I'll be cautious for the next few days, but that appears to have fixed the problems I've been having.

0 Likes
buckle32

no phone connection

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

buckle32, we want your service working 100% of the time for you. Are you still experiencing service issues? Is there an intersection and city you can provide?

AlanS_VZW

0 Likes