Lollipop NOT hiding "Sensitive information" from lock screen
jcl_sf

I have finally allowed my Galaxy S5 to update to Lollipop.  In trying to configure lock-screen notifications, I saw (like so many others have) that Lollipop lock-screen notifications are quite different than Kit-Kat.  I've read about how the Lollipop notifications are supposed to work (and that's explained by Google here), but it looks like the implementation on my phone is not working the way it is supposed to.  Specifically:

On Lollipop, you can choose (System Settings --> Sound and notification --> Notification/While locked) one of 3 main options:

• Show all content - By default (but see below!) this shows app notifications, AND includes details (e.g. for email, shows the sender and subject, and first few lines for each of the first few messages) for each.
  • Hide sensitive content - This shows notifications from any app, but hides everything except the basics, for all apps.  Doesn't matter if it's email or a weather-app - all details are hidden, except for the name of the app itself.
  • Do not show notifications - This shows no lock-screen notifications at all.  Just like default Kit-Kat, except of course in Lollipop we can't see the notification icons in the top bar anymore (sadly).

My problem: When "Show all content" is selected, each app can be individually designated as "sensitive" (under System Settings --> Sound and notification --> Notification/Application notifications).  This is SUPPOSED to block details from lock-screen notifications for that app.  HOWEVER, it doesn't work - marking an app as "sensitive" has no effect!  Emails, for example, are still visible, as are texts when I designate "Messages" app as sensitive, etc etc.

I've seen this issue described in only one other place, but never here, and I can't tell if this is a problem for all Verizon S5 users.  Can anyone confirm that they have this issue?  Is there a fix?

Please NOTE that I do not have the option of using a replacement lock-screen - my company Exchange server connection has a security policy that requires that I use either the native PIN or Password lock mechanism.

0 Likes
Re: Lollipop NOT hiding "Sensitive information" from lock screen
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Hard reset your device.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Also possible this is disabled with company server.

0 Likes
jcl_sf

Thanks  @pherson.  How can I check to see if this is related to a company server policy?  Seems like a very odd thing to disable, but if I knew which policy setting(s) would have this effect, and where to get a listing of the policies applied from the company Exchange server, I could check.

Regarding hard-reset: I did a cache clear after the update.  Could do an FDR but would like some info pro or con as to whether that's worthwhile for this issue, so:

I'm interested to hear from other S5 users: Do you see what I am seeing? (Answers of "yes" or "no" would both be helpful!).

0 Likes