Re: KOT49H.I545VRUFNG6 Update Problems
DanRodgers
Enthusiast - Level 1

The same exact thing is happening to me.    Verizon needs to fix this right now. It's unacceptable.  My phone constantly reboots in the middle of calls. Funny thing is I call the number right back and it reconnects me to the same line and the other person has no idea my call ended. I use my phone for work, and this issue needs to be addressed.

Unholy79
Enthusiast - Level 1

In the end I wound up using ODIN and some instructions I found online via

the Android developer's forum to downgrade my phone back to the previous

operating system. It works fine and even gave me the option of NOT

updating to the latest release. May have hosed my warranty but who cares

the phone works correctly again.

On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 7:40 PM, DanRodgers <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
Sudden
Enthusiast - Level 2

Seems like many of us are having these issues. Reading mode was never enabled on mine and I still get random restarts (more common during phone calls). Battery drain issues are worse than before the update as well.

On the bright side messaging doesn't convert my messages to MMS w/ emoji anymore. Well at least when it doesn't crash trying to send them.

0 Likes
ECU_Pirates

Same problem.  Reboot and freeze and reboot and freeze.  Verizon suggested a master reset which I resisted.  Three chats with Samsung and two visits to the Samsung rep at Best Buy and then a master reset along with 10 other things!  It still reboots and freezes, just not as often. 

0 Likes
jackth
Enthusiast - Level 2

Nope, after more time, reading mode does not seem to have anything to do with the bug.

0 Likes
jackth
Enthusiast - Level 2

I ran the factory data reset last night and have not had a reboot all day. Battery life is back to normal. Fingers crossed.

0 Likes
PrTBrownT
Enthusiast - Level 3

You definitely should not have had to reset your phone for an issue caused

by Verizons security update. They need to either roll back the update or

credit you for the inconvenience they caused. I dont even use my phone

because every time I do, it resets.

0 Likes
ECU_Pirates

My phone is 18 months old and out of warranty.  If I had dropped it, that's one thing, but to have to buy a new phone because of their software update that I didn't even want, is insane. 

0 Likes
krugs525
Enthusiast - Level 1

I did a factory reset as well.  The first day was great, no reboots, but the next day everything went south again with the reboots and it was even worse than before.

Luckily I found instructions on the internet for how to flash the previous "NC5" version of the firmware onto the phone, so I did that.  (Note: make sure you pay attention to what you're doing if you do this so you don't brick your phone.)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s4-verizon/general/downgrade-ng6-to-nc5-t2910933

If I can flash the firmware in about 5 minutes, there's no way I shouldn't be able to go into a Verizon store and have them do the same.  I spent a lot of time with a Level 2 support technician on the phone when I first had the problems, and while he was trying to be helpful, he said they couldn't roll back the firmware.  Disappointing.

There's no way that Verizon should've ever released this crappy update in the first place though.  That's what I get for installing an update without reading the forums first.

0 Likes
PrTBrownT
Enthusiast - Level 3

Unfortunately in my case, there weren't any posts prior to the crappy

update and no one expects a security update to make his/her phone virtually

useless.

0 Likes