Join S6 Edge Plus petition
Bentmountain
Contributor - Level 1

We need to petition Verizon and Samsung and demand they provide at minimum 2 years of security and OS updates not dictated by new product releases

This business model of selling us over priced phones and no security updates has to end..

Please don't just read post so we can have a head count and we need your inout.

0 Likes
Re: Join S6 Edge Plus petition
Snn5
Legend

Bentmountain wrote:

This business model of selling us over priced phones and no security updates has to end..

That part....who bought the phone?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

You know the manufacturers sets the prices right? I mean it was testified in court that Carriers make little to no money on devices and the manufacturer sets the prices for their phones. This is straight from the manufacturers mouth. Also the manufacturers are the the only one who touches the code for their software and the FCC, and courts already said this as well. Just some food for thought. 🙂

0 Likes
Bentmountain
Contributor - Level 1

I accept that.

but i can say on my part i in good faith purchased a state of the art communications device and at minimum expect security updates for a reasonable amount of time we only received one.

Google has released 5 security updates and Android M since December. For all their android devices

As of right now i am out of the strangle hold cell companies have on us

I just ordered a Nexus 6p fully unlocked device That is updated directly from Google.

Friends that have been using Nexus devices have always gotten timely updates. and Monthly security updates

I will no longer buy a device that is locked and not updated directly by Manufacturer

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

HTC already went on record what people want isn't possible as people like them to be. Samsung said they'd try and they haven't even kept up with it even overseas.  some of these updates from Google does not even affect other devices. As some of the code doesn't exist on manufacturer versions of the OS.  For example if there is a lock screen exploit it won't always work on Samsung devices as a large amount of code is different. So they will always be hit and miss and selective.

Tidbits
Legend

So your only option is to purchase a Nexus device going forward if you are going to base everything on a a Nexus where Google has the code and don't share it until they are finished it so manufacturers are going to be at least a month out before touching the code.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Bentmountain wrote:

As of right now i am out of the strangle hold cell companies have on us

You still need a carrier to use that phone as a communication device, be it a wireless carrier, or ISP, or someone else's data connection, or Google for supporting a Nexus after a given time.....you will always have to depend on someone for something.

0 Likes