Jelly Bean - Email AutoSync No Longer Works
Battsman

I am at Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean) on my stock Samsung Galaxy S3.  Since the Jelly Bean upgrade, my e-mail will MANUALLY sync e-mails, but will no longer AUTOMATICALLY sync e-mails per the Peak/Off-Peak schedule for any of my e-mail accounts except for my Exchange account.  I have tried:

• Adjusting the Peak/Off-Peak schedules to several different times / schedules.
  • Changing the period to synch from 1 Month or 100 e-mails to 1 month.
  • Accessing the Email app via the Applications interface and clearing all data.
    • Step above obviously necessitated re-entering all e-mail accounts.
  • I have confirmed that Settings>Email(under Accounts Header) shows a green synch icon beside all four of my non Exchange accounts.

I've been messing with this for a number of days now and I'm hitting a wall.  This is not a menu-based configuration issue as far as I can tell AND it worked fine under ICS. 

In case someone wants the information to diagnose, the non-exchange Accounts:

• 2 x @BellSouth.net (associated with my AT&T service, but hosted by yahoo.com service).
  • 1 x @yahoo.com
  • 1 x @gmail.com

My settings for synchronization (for all four accounts):

• All days selected.
  • Peak schedule: Every Hour
  • Off-peak Schedule: Never
  • Peak start @ 7:00 AM
  • Peak end @ 10:00 PM
  • While Roaming: Use Above Settings. 

Any suggestions?  (Other than the usual default "Have you tried a factory reset" that would require me to spend a day trying to get everything set back up and is basically a support tree "I can't figure it out easily so let's make your life harder because I can't be bothered" type of solution.)

0 Likes
Re: Jelly Bean - Email AutoSync No Longer Works
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried using the Yahoo Mail app off Google Play?  There's a number of threads on this forum about email sync issues, primarily with Yahoo and AOL.  If you can set the accounts up under 'other' or use the associated apps off Google Play, that may be a workaround.

0 Likes
Battsman

Tiki -

I haven't specifically tried the Yahoo app - primarily because I want the ability to check all of my e-mail accounts from one APP (including my Exchange account) like I was able to do under I.C.S.  Consequently, you suggested work around would potentially be helpful for others, but isn't a solution for my problem.  I'm curious if syncing is actually working correctly for others under JB or if this is a widespread problem.

Thanks-B

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can also try to setup the email accounts under the "Other" type instead of as a "Yahoo" type in your email application on the phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm not sure what the issue is; first I thought it was JB, then others were reporting sync issues while on ICS.  And it's not related to one specific phone.  Some folks thought it was a Verizon issue, others say it's a Yahoo issue, although folks are reporting issues with AOL and other email services not syncing.  I've seen at least five threads about it the past few weeks.

0 Likes
Battsman

Actually, after I deleted the accounts (by clearing the Email application memory), I set up each of the accounts manually rather than using "Yahoo" type - no dice.

0 Likes
Battsman

Mine started @ JB, but in trying to research the problem on my own - I can confirm your observation that people are reporting sync issues across multiple platforms / e-mail providers.  What is weird about it is that on irregular occasions, one of my accounts will actually "sync."  As an example since I wrote the original post - I did get  notification of new emails in one of my accounts - I have purposely not been manually checking my accounts to see what is happening.  Interestingly, When I look at Settings>Email, it shows all of my accounts having been sync'd at 10:00 AM.  So what does that mean?  Sync is partially working, but not consistently (e-mails from across 4 hours came in when it is set to sync hourly) and even within the phone the sync status isn't being displayed correctly.  Something is clearly fubar'd I just don't know what.  (thanks for the advice though)

0 Likes